Geranium Oil And Its Many Healing Waystweet
The medical profession long ago realized the healing powers of herbs and plants so that most of the prescribed medicines today have at least one component derived from herbs and plant essences. However, pharmaceutical companies extract what they consider to be the active ingredient from plants and herbs which they isolate before mixing with synthetic substances. It is then no longer a natural product and can lead to a very powerful but unbalanced drug with possible side effects. Today, more and more health conscious members of the public are turning to pure natural products using herbs, plants and, of course, essential oils.
One such essential oil is geranium.
Native to Africa and originating from South Africa, as well as Reunion, Madagascar, Egypt and Morocco, the geranium is now grown throughout the world. This hardy and semi-succulent plant usually grows to around 3 feet tall and is noted for its small pink flowers. There are about 700 different varieties of the plant, yet only 10 supply essential oil in viable quantities, as the normal garden geraniums produce far too little oil for extraction. This oil is obtained through steam distillation. While the essential oil of the geranium can be extracted from the stems, most of the focus is placed on obtaining the oil from its leaves. This oil is usually a pale green color with a thin texture and has quite a strong aroma which is known for its sweetness and similarity to that of a rose. The final scent of the oil will vary depending on where it was grown.
Geranium essential oil has wonderful healing benefits particularly with regard to the skin
- It is used to soothe dry skin
- it is used to reduce cellulite through massage
- it is used to help clear the complexion of blemishes
But geranium essential oil also has a calming and restoring influence on mind, body and the emotions
The many healing benefits come from the health giving properties such as
- Astringent which has the main function of inducing contractions, helping prevent muscles and skin from sagging loosely and avoiding wrinkles.
- Anti bacterial and anti microbial properties that prevent bacteria or microbes from developing on wounds while keeping you safe from infections.
- Haemostatic properties that help to speed up coagulation or the clotting of blood.
- Cicatrisant that helps scars and other skin blemishes to fade and vanish while facilitating blood circulation just below the surface of the skin and distributing melanin in a uniform way.
- Cytophylactic that promotes cell health while encouraging the recycling of dead cells and the regeneration of new cells.
- Diuretic properties that lead to increased urination and an effective way of removing of toxins from the body as well as aiding digestion and stopping the formation of gases in the intestine.
- Deodorant with its pleasing and uplifting aroma (like a combination of floral and mint) will help eliminate body odor.
- Tonic in geranium essential oils tones up muscles and skin to give you a smoother and more attractive look.
- Vermifuge is a property that is of particular benefit to those children who suffer from intestinal worms while the vulnerary in geranium oil speeds up the healing of wounds of all types.
Along with these properties, geranium oil has other benefits making it the ideal essential oil to be used as part of the treatment for acne, dermatitis, eczema and other skin conditions as well as respiratory infections, neuralgia, burns and more.
Not only does geranium oil help to heal and treat physical conditions, it also has uplifting effects to aid and treat those who might be suffering from depression or anxiety.
Gentle and safe to use, geranium oil will not cause any side effects because it is non-toxic, non-irritant and for the most part non-sensitizing. However, it can affect the hormonal system during pregnancy and for that reason, is best not used when pregnant.
The strong aroma of geranium oil will repel mosquitoes, head lice and other unwanted creepy crawlies.
The most simple way to enjoy the benefits of geranium essential oil for various conditions is to use those specialised products formulated by Healing Natural Oils.