Skin Tags Cure
Home > Treatment Articles > Skin Tags > Skin Tags Cure
Starting off as small growths of skin, skin tags are easiest to treat in their early stages. While many people are looking for a skin tags cure, it is relatively easy to treat and get rid of those annoying tags or flaps that hang off the skin. It is difficult to call such treatment a cure as skin tags might appear again in the same or even a different area in the future. Nevertheless, any current skin tags can be successfully eliminated.
Skin tags are a common condition and appear more in women than men. Their appearance is often linked to ageing, diabetes or obesity. The growths appear on various parts of the body with the most likely places being the eyelids, nose, cheek, neck, armpits, upper chest or even the groin - all places where the skin is looser and more relaxed. If you see one skin tag, the chances are that there will be more. Although harmless, they can be a nuisance when they catch on clothing or jewellery or if we shave them by mistake. They can even become inflamed and painful. Each skin tag has its own blood supply so they may bleed if rubbed hard. It is this independent blood supply that feeds the tag and enables it to grow larger.
Skin tags are benign (that is non-cancerous) and they are not a symptom of some larger underlying medical condition (except in the case of anal skin tags). It is usually easy to identify skin tags but if you are not sure, it is safer to have them diagnosed by a medical practitioner. Once you have ascertained that the growths are in fact skin tags, you may well ask how to cure skin tags.
There are several different treatments for skin tags and these are listed below:
- One method is the use of liquid nitrogen to “freeze off” skin tags in a procedure known as cryotherapy. The doctor submerges the tips of special forceps in liquid nitrogen and clamps the skin tag for about 15 seconds to freeze it. The skin tag will shrivel up and fall off after about a week. One treatment is usually sufficient for small skin tags but large ones may have to be frozen several times over the course of a few weeks so you can see why it is important to treat skin tags in the early stages. Cryotherapy is a good method for treating genital skin tags as well as those skin tags on the eyelids which can be extra sensitive.
- Electrocautery is another method and this is where the tag is cut off and the skin electrically burned to close the wound. A local anesthetic is necessary to limit any pain and discomfort. Dressings are applied to cover the wounds to keep them clean until healed. The procedure is suitable for treating larger skin tags because it staunches any risk of bleeding afterwards and accelerates the healing process.
- Ligation is the name given to the method where thread is wrapped around the base of the skin tag, cutting off the blood supply. This method results in the eventual shedding of the tag with minimal pain and damage to the skin.
These three methods do come with the risk of some scarring so it is advisable to use a natural scar-prevention product in conjunction with the procedure.
There are also skin tag removal procedures you can carry out in the comfort of your own home but because skin tags often appear in hard-to-reach places, such as on the back of the neck, it can be helpful to have someone else help you.
- Strangling the tag with a thread or dental floss is a common natural treatment. Cut off 8 to 10 inches of dental floss which should be disinfected with rubbing alcohol. The alcohol should also be applied to a cotton ball and used to disinfect the skin tag and surrounding skin before applying and OTC topical anesthetic to the skin tag or hold an ice cube to the skin tag for 5 minutes or so until the skin becomes numb. Tie the floss into a slip knot and loop over the head of the tag as close to the main skin area as possible before pulling the ends tightly and tying off the knot. Snip off the ends of the floss. Cover the area with an adhesive bandage and check daily. Over a period of 10 days, the skin tag will begin to darken before finally falling off.
- You might prefer another more gentle and safer method using a natural product. H-Skin Tags Formula is applied directly onto the skin tags using either a cotton swab or your finger where it goes to work immediately to remove any skin tags over a week or two. Full instructions come with the product which can be easily ordered online.