10 Reasons To Quit This Dangerous Food Type
10 good reasons to stop eating processed foods
1. CANCER – it has been well documented that some cancers are known to be caused by carcinogenic properties which are included in processed foods. Eating lots of red and processed can increase your risk of bowel cancer and possibly stomach cancer. You can instead choose grass fed beef, free range lamb and free range chicken for safe whole real foods.
2. OBESITY – processed foods are usually high in trans fats, sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup, and processed salt. Sugar and HFCS are the two worst offenders for causing excessive weight gain and obesity. Avoid concentrated fruit juices and store bought smoothies as these are often very rich in fruit sugar. Instead drink water, eat fruit and make your own smoothies at home.
3. HIGH CARB CONTENT – most processed foods include too many carbohydrates and too little protein. Refined flour has had the brown husk of the grain stripped away, leaving the white, refined starch found in white bread, white rice, pasta, cookies and more. Without the fibrous husk, refined starches are broken down quickly into sugar and absorbed immediately into the bloodstream causing glucose levels to rise, and increasing the risk of obesity and diabetes.
4. HEART DISEASE – the trans fat in many processed foods are particularly unwanted in any diet and a sure recipe for the risk of heart disease.
5. HYPERTENSION – blood pressure is elevated by the high processed salt and bad fat content in processed foods BUT eating non processed natural sea salt and good fats such as grass fed butter, coconut oil, virgin olive oil foods are actually highly beneficial to your health.
6. DIABETES – the high sugar products and fast acting carbohydrates in processed foods will raise the glucose to unhealthy levels. Along with obesity, it is no wonder that type 2 diabetes levels have gone through the roof in the past few decades.
7. ARTIFICIAL FOOD ADDITIVES, PRESERVATIVES, COLORINGS AND FLAVORS – manufacturers add these by the bucketful for color, consistency, taste, shelf life and more, not caring about how toxic they can be. In fact people who only eat processed foods usually have no concept of what real food tastes like. And all the time the manufacturers can keep you addicted and craving their intense flavors, the more profits they will make and the more your health will suffer. For example, companies do not even try to defend their use of MSG. They just keep changing the name if people complain enough. The fact that manufacturers are able to keep pulling the wool over people's eyes, convincing them that these products are "foods" worthy of buying is nothing more than a successful marketing victory. MSG or monosodium glutamate as a flavor enhancer has been found to cause damage in laboratory mice and it has been banned from use in baby foods, but is still used in numerous other processed foods. It causes common allergic and behavioral reactions including headaches, dizziness, chest pains, depression, and mood swings, and is also a possible neurotoxin. Soy products such as soy milk, soy cheese, soy protein isolate and other processed soy foods should also be avoided. Natural soybeans have a very unpleasant taste - nature's way of warning about the dangers of soy. In order to make soy products edible, their manufacturers have to add large amounts of sugar, MSG and other flavorings and spices.
8. UNKNOWN FILLERS – several foods like hot dogs and processed meats are filled with unknown parts plus the particularly dangerous nitrates and nitrites. British chef Jamie Oliver has given plenty of adverse publicity to the so called meat product now known as “pink slime”. Nitrates and nitrites are used to preserve meats such as ham and bacon, but are known to cause asthma, nausea, vomiting, and headaches in some people.
9. LACK OF NUTRIENTS – processed foods have little or no nutrients and are of course not foods at all. A diet high in processed foods provides no protection for the body to fight disease. Nearly all processed food contains GMOs.
10. ARTIFICIAL VITAMINS – in a marketing ploy to convince customers that they are providing a more healthy product, manufacturers will advertise that they are adding vitamins to their product. Meanwhile, these synthetic vitamins quickly lose their potency during the manufacturing process, becoming virtually useless anyway. And the medical profession, and those agencies linked to it, lay very little emphasis on the importance of good nutrition.
There is no money to be made from disease preventionIf your business model relies on people getting sick, why would you want to prevent disease? If nutrition and lifestyle management are the clue to getting and staying healthy, then the pharmaceutical industry will lose out.
All these interested parties are not going to go against the manufacturers of processed foodsMany will argue that eating healthy is more expensive and it is true that in many less privileged areas, it can be difficult to access high quality fresh foods if all around you are just convenience stores and fast food joints. Nevertheless, it is absolutely vital to take responsibility for your own health and find out how you can optimise your diet and lifestyle so that you minimise your risk of disease and enjoy the highest level of health possible. The long term cost to your health when you eat a diet high in processed foods is sky high.
Learn to take notice of who is responsible for your food (apart from yourself)
Codex is a world wide food organization that you would do well to find out more about. For example they would appear to be highly influenced by very large corporations so that GM foods, contaminants, additives, pesticide residues and other synthetic chemicals, that many of us regard as intrinsically harmful, are pushed for all they’re worth - being deemed safe at those concentrations typically used in processed foods. On the other hand, those things we consider intrinsically beneficial, such as vitamins and minerals, are given a very tough ride. If you are interested in learning more, you can do so here. Processed foods, junk foods, fake foods – whatever you call them - these non-foods all have one thing in common; they cost your body a great deal more to digest, absorb and eliminate them than they offer your body in nutritional value. In fact, a non existent return on your investment that leaves your body sluggish and depleted.