If and when your children get sick, here is how to go the natural way with some good old fashioned home remedies.
Here are our suggested top ten
1. Think BRAT for DIARRHEA. - that is a choice of bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast
2. Black licorice will cure children's CONSTIPATION nine times out of ten.
3. The chemical reaction between baking soda and vinegar creates a cooling effect that will soothe your child’s MINOR BURNS. Just pour equal amounts of the ingredients into a bowl to bathe your child’s hand or other affected place till the burning stops.
4. For an EARACHE, use a hot pack big enough so they can lay their head down to relieve the “ache”. Another good home remedy is to keep a nasal spray pump filled with "food grade" 35% peroxide that has been diluted to 3% with "ionic silver" water (and available from companies providing peroxide water treatment equipment). A few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your child’s ears is safe, very effective and inexpensive. Just make sure you use a peroxide without the stabilizer. You can dilute the peroxide with purified water as an alternative to the iconic silver water.
5. For a HEADACHE give them a big drink of water and rub their head/neck making sure to work out the knots. There is a pressure point between your thumb and pointer finger. If all else fails, H-Headaches
from Healing Natural Oils can be safely used on children of all ages for all headache pain.
6. For TEETHING take a wash cloth, wet the center with a little water, spread on a tablespoon of apple sauce, roll it up, then freeze it. Babies love this because it is is sweet, it is chewy and it is cold so it numbs their gums.
7. For COLDS and CONGESTION IN THE NOSE, a nasal wash using a few grains of crystal salt in 1/4 cup of warm water may help. You can use in a Netti Pot as well, but remember to use good quality sea salt and not the normal refined processed table salt.
8. A simple and quick remedy for a SORE THROAT is to place some natural sea salt on an apple slice for your child to eat. This is much easier than getting him or her to gargle salt water and works well.
9. For a really SORE THROAT, make your children "Granny's lemon and honey drink". Add one tablespoon of lemon juice and one and a half tablespoons of honey to one cup of warm water. Mix and drink frequent sips. It must be RAW honey and do not give honey to any child under the age of 1 year as they are at risk for botulism from honey.
10. Children who get a dose of honey COUGH less and sleep better than those who get cough medicine.
A recipe for coughs
- Put a pint of raw honey in a pan on the stove on very low heat (Do not boil honey as this changes its medicinal properties).
- Take a whole lemon and boil in some water in a separate pan for 2-3 minutes to both soften the lemon and kill any bacteria that may be on the lemon skin.
- Let the lemon cool enough to handle then cut it in slices and add it to the pint of honey on the stove.
- Let mixture cook on warm heat for about an hour.
- Then strain the lemon from the honey, making sure all lemon seeds are removed.
- Let cool, then bottle in a jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator. This syrup will keep for 2 months in the refrigerator.
- To soothe a cough, take 1/2 teaspoon for a 25 lb. child and 1 teaspoon for a 50 lb. child, about 4 times a day or as often as needed. Adults can take 1 tablespoon doses.
The importance of a strong immune system and personal hygiene
Help to keep your child germ free and able to fight off any virus by ensuring a STRONG IMMUNE SYSTEM by eating healthy whole foods, by regular exercise and by getting sufficient sleep.
Never underestimate the simple advice to WASH YOUR HANDS and those of your children frequently to ward off colds and other infections. Washing hands helps decrease the likelihood of spreading a virus to the nose and mouth as well as others around you but don't use antibacterial soap for this. They are unnecessary, causing far more harm than good.