Removing all products with fragrance (as an ingredient) will immediately improve air quality in your home. Headaches
, allergies and stomach problems? Many such symptoms may be as a reaction to all those chemicals in your home.
And one of those products on the list of chemicals is the commercial fabric softener where the ingredients include:
- Benzyl acetate (linked to pancreatic cancer)
- Benzyl alcohol (an upper respiratory tract irritant)
- Ethanol (linked to central nervous system disorders)
- Limonene (a known carcinogen) and
- Chloroform (a neurotoxin and carcinogen)
What can you use instead? How about this very simple recipe?
Here is the natural "homemade" fabric softener recipe
You will need:
- Mix ingredients together and pour into a storage container.
- Dilute the vinegar mixture with water before being used in your laundry.
- For regular sizes loads, mix 1/4 cup of vinegar mixture with 3/4 cups of water.
- Pour the fabric softener into your washer during the final rinse cycle.
There are other laundry products that can cause harm too...
Dryer sheets are designed to stay on clothing for a long period of time and slowly release their chemicals throughout the day and night, leading to prolonged exposure to toxic chemicals. Today, many people think that hanging clothes out to dry in the sun is old-fashioned and inconvenient but feeling your clothes are cleaner when using chemically-fragranced dryer sheets is an advertiser’s myth. The sun’s rays act as totally natural and efficient disinfectants – killing germs, bacteria and dust mites that might have survived the washing process. If you’re using toxic dryer sheets, you are going to add to toxins in your air and your home. Using a dryer may be faster and more convenient, but if you’re using dryer sheets, you are going to pay with your health.
A more natural alternative is the use of wool dryer balls.
There are safer alternatives to dryer sheets
- Skip the dryer sheets completely and rise to the challenge of static cling and clothes softening by adding a dash of vinegar to the rinse cycle.
- Alternatively, you could pop in a sachet of fresh herbs.
For the most natural laundry result of all, use soapnuts, our suggested homemade fabric softener and line dry in the fresh air!