Essential Oils & Other Natural Alternatives for Psoriasis
In our earlier post, you can find out all about the chronic, autoimmune skin condition known as Psoriasis and how it can lead to psoriatic arthritis which is an inflammation of the joints, affecting some thirty per cent of those suffering from psoriasis.
The signs and symptoms of psoriasis
- The appearance of plaques of red skin which can sometimes have a covering crust of silver or white scales.
- The appearance of loose skin or lesions. These can also be sensitive, itchy or even painful.
- The appearance of dandruff on the scalp.
- The appearance of cracked or discolored skin that can bleed or bruise.
- The discoloration in the finger and toenails or the appearance of toenail fungus.
- Nails that can detach from the nail beds - or be painful and even bloody.
- The addition of emotional stress and problems because of these symptoms.
While psoriasis is most often found on the elbows, legs, scalp, lower back, face, palms and soles of the feet, it can also appear in the fingernails, toenails, genitals and inside the mouth. Perhaps one of the most common locations is the scalp, affecting some fifty per cent of those with psoriasis. As you can see, psoriasis signs and symptoms can appear in just about every part of the body.
There is a list of contributing factors to psoriasisThese include:
- An overactive immune system.
- A less than perfect diet.
- Abnormal small intestine permeability.
- An increased number of T cells in the blood, dermis and epidermis.
- Finding it difficult to digest protein.
- Being under emotional stress.
- Suffering from hormonal changes.
- A family history of this skin condition.
- Being deficient in Vitamin D.
- Having a poor liver function.
Those natural treatments
- Changing your diet by combining anti-inflammatory foods with a healing psoriasis diet. Such a psoriasis diet can help to heal your gut which can help treat the psoriasis too. Psoriasis is an immune system issue so anything you can do to improve your immune system will be helpful to improving psoriasis symptoms. The psoriasis diet is set out below.
- Reducing Stress.
- Exercising and drinking plenty of water.
- Being careful how you bath - by using warm rather than hot water so as not to dry out nor inflame the skin even more. Ideally, soak in some dead sea slats, Epsom salt or oats for fifteen minutes to help remove scales and relieve the itching. Once patted dry gently, apply plenty of natural moisturizer to seal in moisture. This can also help to calm and treat psoriasis patches.
The psoriasis dietThis has to be high in healing, anti-inflammatory foods, including:
- Probiotic foods
- High-fiber foods
- Foods high in antioxidants
- Zinc-rich foods
- Foods high in vitamin A
- Wild-caught fish
- Raw dairy
- Herbs and spices especially turmeric
- Aloe Vera which can be applied externally and consumed internally, soothing both the digestive system and the skin
- Avoiding processed foods, simple sugars, alcohol, conventional dairy, conventional meats, hydrogenated oils and fried foods
- Reducing caffeine
- Considering changing to gluten-free
In addition, taking these supplements will be helpful
- Hydrochloric acid to help with protein digestion while decreasing psoriasis flare-ups.
- Fish oil which is anti-inflammatory while helping in the healing of psoriasis.
- Vitamin D3 at a suggested dose of 5000 IUs daily.
- Milk thistle which can help promote liver detoxification while reducing cellular growth.
- Probiotics with the suggested dose of 50 billion units daily, helping to improve digestion by increasing good bacteria and crowding out bad bacteria as digestive issues are linked to psoriasis.
And finally treating psoriasis symptoms with essential oilsH-Psoriasis Formula is perfect for the symptoms of all types of psoriasis:
- Plaque psoriasis - Most common with raised red patches and build up of dead skin or scales known as plaques. Usually on knees, elbows & scalp. Itchy and painful. Can crack and bleed.
- Pustular psoriasis - A rare form characterized by small pustules (whitehead-like lesions) found all over the body or confined to the palms, soles and other isolated areas of the body.
- Guttate psoriasis - Occurs most frequently in children and is characterized by numerous small, red drop-like scaly macules that develop rapidly over a wide area of skin, often appearing after an infection.
- Inverse psoriasis - Occurs in the armpit, under the breast, in skin folds, around the groin, in the cleft between the buttocks and around the genitals. It is usually pink and irritated but lacks the thick scales seen in other forms of psoriasis.
H-Psoriasis Formula is a breakthrough topical homeopathic product with pure natural essential oils. It is safe and effective with no harmful chemicals or additives. With its deep penetrating action, the Formula is gentle on your skin. If psoriatic arthritis symptoms are also in evidence, use together with our natural arthritis product (H-Arthritis Formula)