Don't you sometimes feel that natural health sites almost bully you into being more healthy? If it is too complicated to chose the healthy way, then human nature will dictate that you take the easy way but that is usually the unhealthy choice.
So I decided to put together a list of 20 simple and sensible ways to be more healthy for 2011. Nothing takes too much effort but if you can follow just a few of these suggestions, you will be healthier and you will feel better about yourself. See how many you can tick off!
So here goes!
1. Ditch the sodas (whether regular or diet) as they are all detrimental to your health and if you can change to 8 glasses of water a day, you will notice the difference.
2. Make sure the water you drink is filtered and free of chlorine, fluoride and any unnatural substances that should not be there.
3. At the same time, cut down on the sugar intake. If you allow yourself a maximum of 6 teaspoonfuls or the equivalent per day, you can still have the occasional treat.
4. Cut out the processed food and rather go for fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh fish and meat. The whole emphasis now is to move to living food. The more varieties and colors of fruit and vegetables, the better. It is not always possible to get all organic but there are 6 fruits you should ensure are organic. These are peaches, pears, strawberries, cherries, grapes and nectarines. The 5 vegetables that you should buy organic are sweet bell peppers, celery, spinach, lettuce and potatoes.
5. Buy free range or organic eggs and poultry.
6. Look for grass fed beef and New Zealand lamb.
7. Eat butter (preferably from grass fed cows) but never margarine.
8. Cut down on dairy products and go for raw milk if you can get hold of it.
9. On that same note, try to to have one meal a day that is raw. A big plate of salad – lettuce, tomato, celery, peppers, parsley, watercress, cucumber, grated raw beetroot, grated or chopped carrot, raw almonds or walnuts. Season with some virgin olive oil. The list is almost endless so plenty of variety possible. For dessert, have fresh fruit.
10. Try drinking green tea before your meals – it is said that it makes you feel less hungry and is full of health benefits.
11. Top up your Vitamin D levels – it is now known more than ever how important this is. If you are lucky enough to have year round sunlight, then make the most of it by enjoying at least 15 minutes in the sun every day. The darker your skin, the longer you need. Otherwise, take a vitamin D3 supplement during the winter months.
12. Take regular exercise. You don't have to run a marathon but walk rather than drive. Go swimming and if you are stuck at home, a mini trampolene is an easy way to get regular beneficial exercise.
13. Make sure to go out in the fresh air as much as you can whatever the weather.
14. Take a look at your grooming products (shampoos, soaps, toothpastes, shaving cream), baby products and cosmetics. Are you swapping these for natural brands wherever and whenever you can?
15. Take an even closer look at your home's cleaning and fragrance products. It is now possible to do away with all those that are poisonous and damaging and change to greener versions for a clean but healthier house.
16. Change to more natural products for your health too. Healing Natural Oils has a whole range of 100% natural products made from pure essential oils and covering so many health conditions.
17. De-clutter your home.
18. Open your windows and doors and give your home a good airing on a regular basis.
19. If you have plants or a garden, it is time to change to organic solutions for feeding and dealing with any garden pests.
20. And don't forget to have a good laugh as often as possible!
I hope you find these 20 suggestions helpful and not too difficult to achieve?