How to Treat Acne Scars After an Outbreak
Apart from the drawback of suffering from acne itself, there can be long term scarring too. Acne scars are caused by inflammatory acne lesions – papules (pink raised bumps), pustules (pink bumps with white pus) or cysts.
What Causes Acne Scars
- Genetic: If you have family members with acne scars, you can be at a higher risk of developing them too.
- Your skin types: Those with lighter complexions may be more prone to acne erythema (persistent redness) after inflammatory acne. Those with darker complexion may be more prone to post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation or brown blemishing.
- Touching a pimple: This can cause excess trauma, worsening any inflammation and resulting in scars.
- Using harsh scrubs and skincare products: These can further irritate your skin and should be avoided.
- Picking, popping or squeezing your acne pimples: Such action is very harmful to an already irritated skin, making the inflammation even worse.
Four Different Types of Acne Scars
- Ice pick acne scars are small, narrow, pinpoint acne scars that penetrate deep into the skin and develop when infected cystic acne makes its way to the surface and destroys the skin tissue.
- Rolling scars have a wave-like appearance and are wide and shallow in depth. These develop when the tissue develops between the epidermis and hypodermis (the innermost layer of skin) and they band together to create a rolling appearance.
- Boxcar scars have angular, well-defined edges. When an inflammatory breakout destroys collagen, it results in a loss of tissue and the skin is left with depressed areas.
- Hypertrophic scars are raised scars caused when the wound has healed but the skin goes on to over-produce collagen.
How to Treat and Prevent Acne Scars
It is important to treat the acne itself or to prevent it occurring in the first place.
- Keeping the skin clean and removing any make-up or build up of any dirt, oil or dead cells that can block the follicles. Simple Cleansing Oil is a great start for this. A blackhead is an accumulation of dead skin cells and sebum that forms a plug within the pore. The oil impaction changes to a dark brown or black color when exposed to air, much like an apple turns brown when it has been cut or peeled and left.
- Many skin care products and cosmetics are full of toxins that can cause more skin problems than they solve, inflaming an acne outbreak or preventing one from healing. Some 99% of personal care products contain at least one unsafe ingredient. You should use pure, safe, natural skin care products such as our own H-Acne. Naturally derived topical acne care products are preferable to chemical products since they do not irritate and dry the skin. Essential oils are one of the most effective natural weapons against acne.
- Spend 5 minutes at least twice a day carefully and gently cleaning your face and always remove all makeup. Exfoliate occasionally. Apply your natural skin care products including moisturizer to a warm skin – this increases absorption.
- Spending time in the sun is far from being harmful to the skin and causing acne. In fact, solar UVB light may even reduce the risk of acne as it can kill the bacteria and of course is well known for stimulating the production for vitamin D which in turn can reduce the risk and symptoms of acne by strengthening the immune system.
- The food you put in your mouth has a direct impact on the appearance of your skin. The single most important step to take to improve skin health and prevent acne is to eliminate sugars and grains from your diet. While the spread of bacteria and the growth of inflammation lead to acne, diets high in sugar and refined carbohydrates are the main reason for acne.
- Some of the best foods to eat for acne-free skin are richly colored fruits such as berries, citrus fruits (lemons and oranges), fish, almonds, walnuts and leafy green vegetables.
- Another important cause of acne is stress. Work on a plan for managing stress to prevent acne flare ups. Changing to a healthier diet will lower your stress levels too, along with plenty of sleep and regular exercise
The worst thing to be prescribed for acne is antibiotics because they will exacerbate any bacterial growth
Instead, try H-Acne Formula for any outbreaks – and if you suffer from acne scars, then we suggest H-Scars Formula. Many young people (and even older sometimes) have to put up with acne but when the acne leads to scarring too, it seems like a double dose of unfairness. We all care about our personal appearance and it is important for our self-esteem too.