Fresh lemons have so many wonderful health benefits that it seems a real waste of an inexpensive resource not to make the most of them as often as possible. One way to get a regular intake of fresh lemon is to squeeze half a lemon into some hot water and drink it down first thing in the morning.
I have mine straight after my morning “oil pulling
” session which is another invaluable habit to get into. And the good news is that you can still go on to enjoy that cup of coffee or tea soon afterwards...
Here are 19 different reasons to start the habit
1. Starting the day with a warm lemon water drink will re-hydrate your body after a long night's sleep while supporting the kidneys and the digestive system.
2. To detox and cleanse that very hard working organ, the liver. Alcohol and sugar can really exact a heavy toll on the liver so a daily warm lemon water drink will help to cleanse the liver while preventing toxins from spreading to other parts of the body.
3. The bitter taste of lemon first thing helps the pumping motion in the bowels to spring into action for improved and regular bowel movements.
4. Of course everyone knows about lemon and vitamin C - which together with flavonoids work to prevent infection.
5. Lemons contain citric acid, B-complex vitamins, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and fiber.
6. The vitamin C (found in lemons) helps to neutralize those free radicals that have been linked to aging and most types of disease.
7. Vitamin C helps to boost the immune system by supporting the lymphatic system, which works in conjunction with your immune system, to trap and eliminate pathogens. Lemons have anti-viral and antibacterial properties too and can be very effective against all types of viruses including colds and flu. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant that enhances the immune system.
8. This morning habit will also assist in the production of collagen which helps to keep the skin firm and wrinkle-free.
9. Although lemons are acidic, strangely enough they interact with our body's metabolism to have an alkalizing effect on the body's fluids, helping to restore the body's PH.
10. A very important benefit of the lemons in our lemon water drink is the presence of 22 anti-cancer compounds (including limonene which studies have shown slows or halts the growth of cancer tumors in animals) while flavonol glycosides prevents cell division in cancer cells.
11. Rutin is found in lemons and its presence has been shown to improve the symptoms of eye disorders - including retinopathy in those who have diabetes.
12. Another plus for diabetics (as well as the overweight) is that lemons contain hesperetin which lowers blood sugar levels. Those vitamins and enzymes in lemons help regulate blood sugar (in order to maintain normal weight levels) while pectin fiber helps fight hunger cravings.
13. Lemon juice is also a digestive aid, encouraging the production of bile, which is what breaks down food during digestion.
14. The citric acid found in lemon juice helps with kidney health by dissolving gallstones, calcium deposits and painful kidney stones. The potassium in lemons helps increase citrate levels in the urine to prevent oxalate from forming, helping to flush out kidney stones.
15. That daily drink of lemon water can combat acne flare ups
by metabolizing the acidic temperament of the body.
16. The anti-inflammatory properties in lemons will of course help to reduce inflammation while neutralizing acidity which is the main cause of tissue inflammation.
17. Another benefit is the relief of sore muscles after exercise.
18. Lemon water can help reduce the joint swelling and pain of arthritis
by lessening the uric acid in the joints – one of the main causes of inflammation.
19. Colitis is an imbalance of acid/alkaline levels in the body so it’s no wonder that lemons can help with this. Drinking a glass of lemon water every morning is the ideal way to bring your pH levels back into balance and reduce acidity.
To sum up...
- Lemon juice is loaded with antioxidants, protein, vitamins B and C, flavonoids, phosphorus, potassium, carbohydrates and volatile oils.
- Lemon juice possesses antibacterial, antiviral and immune-building properties.
- It helps boost immune system and fight infection with its high levels of bioflavonoids, pectin, limonene, citric acid, magnesium, calcium and vitamins.
How can you not start the habit?
- That early morning glass of warm lemon water on an empty stomach flushes the system, aids digestion, fights hunger cravings, promotes weight loss and creates an alkaline-forming environment to balance the body’s pH.