Is There a Difference Between Varicose Veins and Spider Veins?
The difference between spider veins and varicose veins begins with their size because spider veins are usually just a fraction of an inch (3 millimeters) while varicose veins are more than 3 mm in size.
But there is more...
- Varicose veins are large, raised, swollen blood vessels that twist and turn. They usually develop in the legs and can be seen through the skin.
- On the other hand, spider veins are smaller, red, purple and blue vessels that are also twisted and turning.
- In the same way as varicose veins, spider veins are easily visible through the skin. They are most often seen on the legs, chest or face while varicose veins are more common on the legs.
What causes both types of veins?
The following can make it more likely that veins appear:
- A family history of veins.
- A history of blood clots.
- Hormonal influences during pregnancy, puberty and menopause.
- The use of birth control pills.
- The use of postmenopausal hormonal replacement.
- The habit of smoking.
- Occupations that involve a lot of standing - for example, health care providers, hair stylists, teachers and factory workers.
- Those conditions that cause increased pressure in the abdomen - examples include constipation and tight clothing.
In addition, if there has been any trauma or injury to the skin, previous vein surgery or exposure to ultraviolet rays, then these can also be possible causes.
Women are more likely to suffer from varicose or spider veins than men and they can become more frequent with age.
What are the symptoms of veins - especially varicose veins?
- Many patients with varicose veins complain of an aching or cramping in the legs.
- Other common symptoms include tiredness, restlessness, burning, throbbing, tingling or heaviness in the legs. Pain caused by varicose veins is usually relieved by raising the legs or by wearing support hose.
- More serious symptoms could include swelling, ulcers or more pigmentation or darkening of the color of the skin - especially affecting the ankles.
Something else to be aware of
Symptoms may be worse during certain parts of the menstrual cycle or during pregnancy.
How to tackle the appearance and symptoms of varicose veins
Using our own H-Varicose Veins Formula by applying topically (to where the veins are troubling you) will start getting to work immediately. Ideally, you should apply around and above varicose veins but directly onto spider veins using a cotton swab or your finger.
The formula is concentrated, so only a few drops are necessary although this will vary depending on the area of coverage. Full instructions will of course be included with the product.
While complete results will differ from person to person, the formula will typically alleviate the symptoms of discomfort caused by the swelling right away. Complete results can take a few weeks. The symptoms will be reduced slowly each day and continue to improve. This product has proven to be extremely effective when applications are made consistently.