LEMON WATER for Detoxing Both Your Skin and Your Body
Lemon water has a long list of benefits, making it an ideal addition to your daily diet.
And top of the list is its ability to keep your skin glowing...
What is lemon water?
Lemon water is a simple beverage made by combining water with lemon juice. Such a beverage has become very popular with the health-conscious, improving the flavor while hardly increasing the calorie-count.
The benefits of lemon water
1. Keeps skin glowing. The antioxidants found in vitamin C ramp up in lemon water and provide a whole host of cold lemon water benefits for skin, fighting free radical damage, keeping your skin looking fresh and helping slow down the aging process. At the same time, ensuring that supply of vitamin C from your lemon water also keeps the body producing collagen - an essential tool in smoothing out fine lines in the face.
2. Aids in digestion and detoxification. Lemon juice’s atomic structure is similar to the digestive juices found in the stomach so it can trick the liver into producing bile - the substance that helps keep food moving through your body and gastrointestinal tract smoothly. Drinking lemon water can also help keep you hydrated to promote regularity, make you feel less bloated, relieve constipation and allow your body to naturally detoxify. Lemon water also acts as a mild diuretic, meaning you might find yourself using the bathroom more often after you start drinking lemon water. However, this can actually be beneficial and can help the urinary tract effectively clear out any unwanted elements. Such detoxing helps improve the skin too.
3. Promotes weight loss. Swapping your soda, fruit juice or energy drinks for a glass of lemon water can not only help keep you hydrated, but it can also significantly decrease caloric intake and speed up weight loss. It also adds a zip of flavor to regular water, making it much more palatable and easier to meet your hydration needs. When you are well hydrated, this is another great plus for your skin health.
4. Boosts energy and mood. Just the scent of that lemon in your glass of lemon water can help to reduce stress levels and improve mood. Reducing stress levels provides further help for skin health.
5. Enhances immunity Of course lemons are high in vitamin C so drinking lemon water will build and boost your immune system. Adding lemon water to your daily diet when you are healthy will help to ward off infections even before symptoms start.
The nutrition found in lemon juice
One cup of fresh lemon juice provides 187% of your daily recommended serving of vitamin C. And there is more...
- 61 calories
- 21 grams carbohydrates
- 0.9 gram protein
- 1 gram dietary fiber
- 112 milligrams vitamin C (187 percent DV)
- 303 milligrams potassium (9 percent DV)
- 31.7 micrograms folate (8 percent DV)
- 0.1 milligrams vitamin B6 (6 percent DV)
- 0.1 milligrams thiamin (5 percent DV)
- 14.6 milligrams magnesium (4 percent DV)
- 0.1 milligrams copper (4 percent DV)
Buying lemons and how to make lemon water
There are three main types of lemons available in the U.S. Eureka and Lisbon lemons are both sour and tart. Eureka lemons have textured skins and few seeds while Lisbon lemons tend to have a smoother skin and no seeds. Meyer lemons, a sweeter variety, are becoming more common with a deeper color than traditional lemons. When buying lemons, choose those that are nice and yellow and organic if possible. Thinner-skinned lemons are juicier.
Making lemon water is easy. Ideally, use the juice of half a lemon up to one full lemon in the lemon water. To make it easier and to save time, one suggestion is to juice several lemons, add to an ice cube tray and freeze. You can then pop a few cubes in a glass of water to have fresh lemon juice ready and available at any time. You can safely drink a two or three glasses of lemon water a day to maximize the potential health benefits of lemon water - and give your skin that extra glow.
Lemon essential oil from Healing Natural Oils boasts a wide range of uses but it is not to be ingested.