You might have noticed that the beverage – coconut water – has become very popular, with many companies jumping on the bandwagon to market and sell their own versions. Of course if you are super fortunate with access to fresh young green coconuts, you can make a hole in the thick skin of a green coconut and pour out your own coconut water ready to drink.
But most of us don’t have that opportunity and have to look for a safe and reliable brand to use that produces high quality coconut water. Always read the blurb and the ingredients label before purchasing.
Choosing the right source for your beverage
Ideally, young green coconuts (freshly picked from the tree) have the best quality coconut water full of nutrients. But as the coconuts begin to age, these nutrients seep into the flesh of the coconut, leaving less goodness behind in the water. So you need to source coconut water beverages that have used this young non-contaminated water.
shares her own chart (below) on how to chose the right brand of coconut milk. She also shares more information on her site here.
Here are several health benefits from drinking coconut water
- Watching your weight? This beverage not only suppresses your appetite but makes you feel fuller because of its rich nutrient content.
- Acne or other skin blemishes? The topical application of coconut water will help to clear up and even tone the skin while drinking the liquid will lead to moisturizing the skin from within.
- Too much alcohol or rich food? Coconut water will settle your stomach while replacing those essential electrolytes that are lost when you experience bouts of frequent urination and vomiting.
- Suffer from indigestion? Coconut water can provide a source of relief. With its high concentration of fiber, it helps prevent indigestion while reducing the occurrence of acid reflux.
- Prone to dehydration? The ingredients in coconut water are effective in hydrating the human body. During serious exercise or extended periods of physical activity, the human body can lose mineral-rich fluids. The good news is that coconut water serves as an excellent replacement with its 294 mg of potassium and 5 mg of natural sugar – per glass. The complete opposite of those energy drinks that are so high in processed sugar but much lower in potassium.
- Looking for extra nutrients? Coconut water contains a unique combination of B vitamins, vitamin C, micronutrients and phytohormones – all exceptionally beneficial to your health.
- Wanting to lower your blood pressure and prevent heart attacks? Lower levels of electrolytes can result in high blood pressure but coconut water is high in these and can be successful as a balancing mechanism. Drink some coconut water at the start of each day to improve any imbalance of electrolytes. Unlike any other beverage in the market, high quality coconut water contains five essential electrolytes that are present in the human body, including calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and sodium.
- Anxious to gain any anti-aging benefits? Coconut water can provide these while at the same time helping to fight free radicals and prevent cancer. Coconut water contains trans-zeatin – used to treat Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
Did you know that, in extreme emergencies, pure coconut water can be utilized to quickly re-hydrate the human body if administered intravenously. It is isotonic to human plasma. Isotonic means denoting or relating to a solution having the same osmotic pressure as some other solution, especially one in a cell or a body fluid.