There are always going to be times when we need an antibiotic to treat a serious infection or illness but we should also be aware of how, in the past few decades, the use of antibiotics has been seriously abused to such an extent that we get antibiotic resistance. To reverse this resistance, we need to stop using antibiotics unnecessarily and the food industry needs to stop using antibiotics as growth enhancers in animal feed.
Other results from this abuse and misuse
Candida and fungal infections can often result from the use of antibiotics while the misuse and overuse of such medications can cause our bodies to have an imbalance of good and bad bacteria so that we lose our natural ability to fight disease. And then to add insult to injury, we do not allow ourselves sufficient healing time after an infection so that our immune systems become weaker – perhaps even leading to a further infection and more antibiotic prescriptions.
So if we get sick, what natural antibiotics can we use instead?
There are so many to choose from:
Echinacea or golden seal tincture in an alcohol base can be taken as directed on the label, 7 to 10 days non stop, using a full dropper in a little water 3 to 5 times per day. Then take a break for a week. If necessary, take for another 7 to 10 days. Goldenseal has the ability to soothe the linings of the mucus membranes of the respiratory, digestive and genitourinary tracts while effectively clearing out any bacterial invasion. Just a few drops can stop a sore throat in its tracks.
Oregon Grape or Berberis aquifolium is native to the US and can stop bacteria from adhering to the walls of the intestine and urinary tract. When used as a tea, it will wash away urinary tract infections but it can also be used in dried capsules or liquid tincture to treat digestive tract conditions like infectious diarrhea.
Andrographis paniculata is an Asian herb with a long history which is used to disrupt the quorum-sensing system of bacteria. This system helps bacteria attach to each other and thrive as a community. Andrographis basically helps break up the bacterial 'get together' and is a great way to treat symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections and sinus problems. Numerous studies have reported on its ability to reduce upper respiratory infection symptoms including fatigue, sore throats, coughs and headaches.
- Most people love honey and manuka honey is often used in hospitals as a protocol for wound care when it is placed directly on gauze to cover the wound. The bandage is replaced three times a day. Although studies show most honey has antibacterial activity, manuka honey has proven to be especially potent due to a compound called methylglyoxal, acting against a wide range of bacteria, including MRSA.
Bee propolis can be bought in capsule form and taken as directed once in the morning and once at night as a natural antibiotic. With antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties, bee propolis stimulates the immune system and helps heal respiratory infections.
- With antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, garlic is an inexpensive way to treat illness. Eat raw in your food, make a tea or take in capsule form as directed 3 times per day. You do need to consume lots of garlic in order to realize its benefits. You can hold raw garlic under your tongue or drink its juice for a more effective way of assimilating the healing properties. Cooking with garlic does help maintain health but remember that this healing herb can lose its potency when cooked. You can use garlic on a daily basis to help prevent illness and you may need more when you are sick. In the case of serious infections, you may need to combine garlic with prescriptions or other natural remedies.
Colloidal silver is a tasteless liquid that can be taken in place of an antibiotic and is especially helpful for upper respiratory ailments. Begin taking the maximum dose at the onset of an illness and continue without skipping a dose. Colloidal Silver will kill both good and bad bacterium — which means you need to keep adding disease fighting good bacteria to your diet. Many people have great results using CS. However, in extreme cases over-use can cause the skin to turn grey. CS is made from pure silver and was used in the US to effectively fight bacterial infections until the late 1940s.
- One commercial herbal antibiotic you can use is DefensePlus by NutriBiotic which contains grapefruit seed extract, echinacea, astragalus, Vitamin C, mushroom extracts, goldenseal and ginger root. So lots of good healthy ingredients there.
- Many people find olive leaf to be invaluable as a natural antibiotic. Either as a fresh leaf or in supplemental form, olive leaf has been found to be beneficial as a natural antibiotic as well as in the treatment for conditions caused by a virus, a retrovirus or a bacteria.
There are other natural ways to defend against sickness too
- A beneficial probiotic will help to balance out the good flora in your digestive tract and assist with dealing with fungus which is the culprit in many respiratory infections. Take probiotics three times per day along with echinacea and goldenseal. You should continue with the probiotic for several weeks after your infection has gone.
Vitamin C can also be extremely helpful when you take up to 10 grams a day, preferably in powdered form. If you get loose stools, take less. Studies indicate it lessens the severity of symptoms of an infection and shortens the duration.
Lemon, Ginger, Cinnamon, Cumin, Cayenne Pepper and Onions are all cleansing and purifying foods that will help detox most illnesses. You can cook with them and eat them as much as you want.
Boosting your immune system is always an important part of keeping well and preventing sickness. See how to do this in one of our earlier posts.
Please remember that using natural medicine may mean that you feel sicker longer
Detoxing bad infections can be painful so allow yourself plenty of rest and proper hydration while you are healing. Patience is paramount.