One of the results of having some vaccine shots can be the shedding that can take place. There is a vaccine that is recommended for those over the age of 60 or 70 in an attempt to prevent the onset of shingles to the vulnerable. This shingles vaccine is just one example of those that shed live virus, even continuing to do so for many weeks or months afterwards - to possibly infect those around.
What happens when the shingles vaccine sheds?
Recent studies have shown that, within 10 minutes of being vaccinated with the shingles vaccine known as Zostavax, up to 50% of the participants tested positive for Zostavax V ZV DNA in their skin samples. Some vaccine recipients will carry the disease in the back of their throats. They can infect others while displaying no symptoms of the disease themselves. They can potentially infect others with chicken pox. Of course the vaccine authorities will then stress the importance for all children and others to be vaccinated against chicken pox. That will be their immediate response. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have recommended that every person over the age of 60 should receive the shingles vaccine but it has also been approved for those in their fifties, greatly adding to the numbers who could be targeted now or in the future.
The drawbacks of the shingles vaccine
- This vaccine is comparatively new and its long-term side effects and effectiveness have yet to be determined.
- There can be short term and long term side effects with any vaccine.
- There is no knowledge yet available as to whether it helps ward off repeat outbreaks of shingles.
Shingles vaccination trial results are unimpressive
According to this site
, the primary clinical trial prior to Zostavax’s approval showed that it reduced risk of developing shingles by about 50%. However, you have to delve deeper into this. In the placebo group, 3.3% of the study participants developed shingles, compared to 1.6% in the vaccine group. Yes, that’s a 50% difference, but the real, absolute risk reduction is just 1.7% points. That means that a total of 175 people would have to be vaccinated to prevent one case of shingles while 1,087 would need to be treated to prevent one case of postherpetic neuralgia or PHP. This is the condition where there is lingering and even chronic nerve pain after an initial attack.
Of course there are many cases of shingles
Up to one million new cases of herpes zoster or shingles are diagnosed in the USA every year.
What are the symptoms?
The condition usually starts with numbness, tingling or itching on one side of the head or body along the nerve lines. If not treated promptly
, it can progress into a blistering, oozing, painful rash.
How do you get shingles?
Chickenpox and shingles are caused by similar viruses – that is the herpes virus family
. Varicella zoster virus for chickenpox, herpes zoster virus for shingles. When you contract chickenpox, the virus can remain dormant in your nerve roots for years but may reawaken because of severe physical or emotional stress, resurfacing as shingles. Even certain medications such as steroids (like prednisone), chemotherapy and radiation may also set off shingles – whatever your age.
What is postherpetic pain or PHN?
The symptoms can vary greatly. They can be milder with tenderness in the affected area or they can mean many months of serious pain and tingling along the nerve lines. Other complications include skin infections, vision and hearing problems, facial paralysis, and muscle weakness.
How to avoid or treat shingles safely
- When you contract chickenpox as a child, and as you grow older, contact with the younger generation (who carry the virus) fortifies your natural immunity against the infection itself and of course shingles too.The big advantage of children being allowed to develop chickenpox is that they boost the antibodies of their grandparents so that they are less likely to have shingles.
- Intravenous (IV) vitamin C will bolster immune function and promote higher blood levels while having no effect on the gastrointestinal tract - that is not upset the tummy.
- It is often best to avoid the prescription drug route for shingles, in spite of the well meaning intentions of physicians, as unfortunately such drugs used to help treat herpes outbreaks will often be followed by adverse side effects.
Our own natural H-Shingles Formula is a breakthrough natural product that is FDA listed. The formula is applied topically so it starts to provide relief immediately. Using established homeopathic ingredients, the product helps treat shingles and post herpetic neuralgia symptoms on contact, relieving the rash, pain and discomfort symptoms as quickly as possible without any irritation or scarring.