You may have recently given up smoking
or you are struggling to do so. You might even be forced to endure second hand smoke. Whatever the reason, there are some natural remedies you can use for improving your lung health.
Firstly, try adding these nourishing and natural additives to your daily meals
- Ginger is an ancient spice with healing powers, helping to eliminate excess mucus in the lungs.
- Onion and garlic are both extremely healthy with their proven anti cancer properties while onion in particular is very effective in preventing respiratory problems.
- Turmeric is rich in vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids. With its antiviral, antibacterial and anti cancer properties, it provides a general purpose great health remedy. Our earlier post will give you the recipe for turmeric paste - an easy way to add this important remedy to your daily diet.
Secondly, here is a lung cleansing elixir
You will need:
- 400 g (14 oz) onion
- 1 l (34 oz) water (pure filtered)
- 400 g (14 oz) raw honey or real maple syrup
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- ginger, a thumb-sized piece
Preparation: Cook the water and honey/syrup together before adding the onion cut in quarters and shredded ginger root. When the mixture starts to boil, add the turmeric and reduce the heat to low. Continue cooking gently until the mixture reduces by half. Then strain and store in a glass jar. When it is totally cool, keep in the refrigerator. How to use: Take two tablespoons in the morning before you eat or drink anything else and again at night, two hours after your supper.
Thirdly, a detox remedy for smokers
As well as smokers, others can use this recipe to clean the lungs of toxins, including nicotine and tar, in just 3 days. Important!
Please do not consume any dairy products for 2 days before starting and during the detox program as these could well slow down the process. On the evening before your first day of lung detox, drink a cup of your favorite herbal tea at bedtime.
Program for your lung detox
- You can either juice your own or look for natural products (minus any added sugar or artificial sweeteners) from a reputable source.
- Squeeze the juice of two lemons in 30 ml (1 tablespoon) water and drink before breakfast.
- During the day, drink 30 ml pineapple or grapefruit juice. You can use mineral water to improve the taste. Pineapple and grapefruit are rich in antioxidants for cleansing the lungs.
- Drink 30 ml of freshly squeezed carrot juice between breakfast and lunch. Carrots affect blood alkalization which also helps to bost the detox process..
- During lunch, drink 40 ml of juice that is rich in potassium. Foods that contain potassium are beets, parsley, tomatoes, figs and almonds.
- Drink 40ml cranberry juice before going to bed. Cranberry will help your body cope with the bacteria in the lungs.
- Try to soak in a hot bath daily during these 3 days as perspiration will help your body to get rid of the toxins through your skin.
- Eucalyptus oil can also be helpful. Heat some water in a pot, and add 5 to 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Then face down over the pot covering your head with a towel, and inhale the steam until the water cools down.
If giving up the habit of smoking is proving impossible for you, this alternative
might be helpful. With the winter months ahead and the risk of smokers cough and/or bronchitis (always more prevalent in smokers), this is the perfect time to carry out these natural remedies.