Top Natural Ways to Deal with Dandruff
Anyone suffering from dandruff can be embarrassed and uncomfortable, and there are several different causes. Fortunately, you do not have to resort to chemicals and toxins to deal with dandruff when there are many natural ways to help eliminate the problem.
In some cases the very hair products being used can be the cause.
We constantly shed dead skin cells from all parts of our body
The skin is completely renewed roughly every 28 days. These pieces of dead skin are so minute that we do not notice them. However, scientists have discovered that in some cases dandruff is caused when a yeast-like fungus called malassezia activates on the scalp. A perfectly normal fungus that inhabits a healthy human head, it feeds on the fatty oils secreted by hair follicles in the scalp. But in some cases, this fungus grow out of control and causes irritation.
It is this irritation that speeds up cell turnover so that all the extra dead cells mix with oil from the hair follicles causing larger pieces that are heavier and more visible. Other causes can be an hormonal imbalance, excessive perspiration, allergic hypersensitivity, emotional stress, poor diet and nutrition, eczema and even a genetic predisposition while the excessive use of hairsprays, gels, hair coloring products and electric hair curlers can make the situation worse.
There are natural ways to deal with dandruff
1. Apple cider vinegar - being mildly acidic this can help kill bacteria and fungus growth on the scalp while eliminating any buildup from hair-care products. Massage the vinegar into the scalp for 5 to 7 minutes before rinsing off. Vinegar is extremely effective for the treatment of dandruff as it is rich in potassium and enzymes which will help to cure an itchy scalp and dandruff.
2. Fenugreek seeds – these can be made into a paste by soaking two tablespoons in water for 12 hours to soften them first. Apply the paste to the hair and scalp and leave on for at least half an hour before rinsing off with a soap nut solution or mild shampoo. Over a 4 week period, use twice a week for two weeks and then once a week for the next two. 3.
3. A lukewarm oil massage – this is one of the best home remedies. Use a lukewarm oil such as olive oil, almond oil or coconut oil to massage onto the scalp with circular motions before going to bed. Leave overnight before washing off with a mild shampoo in the morning.
4. Coconut oil with lemon juice – this is another home treatment. Blend together 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 5 tablespoons of coconut oil. Apply to the scalp to clear away flakes from your scalp. Leave on the scalp for 20 to 30 minutes and then wash with a mild shampoo. Continue the treatment until clear.
5. Baking soda – this is a surprising way to remove dandruff flakes but you can add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to mild shampoo each time to wash and you will find that it can remove dandruff flakes including those hiding in hair strands.
6. Aloe Vera gel – this can be applied to the scalp and left on for 15 minutes to clarify and repair damaged skin before getting rid of those unwanted dandruff flakes and healing the skin of the scalp.
7. Nutrition – this can play a big part in controlling dandruff. Zinc helps regulate oil glands, promotes healing, and boosts the immune system while Omega-3 fatty acids support normal skin functioning and may protect against dandruff. Just as important for healthy hair are the B vitamins found in dark leafy greens and whole grains.
8. Acupuncture and acupressure - dandruff responds well to these, both of which improve circulation. Practised for centuries and with similar methods, except acupuncture includes the use of needles. By pressing on specific points within the body, the practitioner causes blood to flow and oxygen to be brought to the surface.
9. Yoga headstands – a final suggestion to help to improve the circulation in the scalp while assisting any other other natural treatments that you are doing to get rid of the dandruff.
Choose a home remedy or method, stick with it for an appropriate time frame to treat dandruff naturally and safely to avoid embarrassment and to improve your own self esteem.