Everyone will have a different answer to this question. Some women will say their moisturizer or their eye cream, others cannot live without mascara or lipstick.
But....wait for it, the real answer is not your beauty products
Your beauty sleep!
We neglect it, we steal from it and we abuse it but it is never too late to start making the most of your sleep. Beauty sleep is real, it costs you nothing and you can start making the most of it tonight. If you sleep well, you will automatically be more beautiful. There is a reason why it is called your beauty sleep. But there is more...
A good night's sleep gives you back so much
: As you sleep, your skin renews itself - new skin cells grow and replace older cells leading to faster healing skin; fewer breakouts (including those from acne
); and an even skin tone. Wrinkles
or sleep lines can be avoided by sleeping on your back instead of your side. If this is impossible, use satin pillowcases as your face will then slide against the satin instead of crunching up against a regular pillowcase. Another suggestion is a beauty sleep pillow which has a unique shape to alleviate pressure on the face. Of course, natural skin care products
are always the way to go when caring for your skin.
Your immune system
: Along with exercise and diet, good quality sleep is one of the 3 main components that keep your body running smoothly and your immune system strong, ensuring you wake up energized to stay strong throughout the day.
Your body and inflammation
: Inflammation is one of the greatest causes of health problems today, especially as we age, but sleep helps to reduce inflammation. Any increase in your stress hormones, because of lack of sleep, can raise the level of inflammation. As well as heart-related conditions, this can also be a risk factor for cancer, diabetes, arthritis
: Sleep bolsters your memory. When you sleep and dream, a process called memory consolidation occurs, so a night of good quality sleep will help you to remember and process things better the next day. Even naps can make you smarter. Never be embarrassed if you feel the need to have a nap during the day as this can be an effective and refreshing alternative to caffeine, while protecting your health and making you more productive. Napping also improves memory, cognitive function and mood.
Your stress levels
: Good, regular sleep fuels your mind, as well as your body. Feeling tired will increase your stress because it may cause you to think irrationally. Even a lack of sunlight can affect the quality of your sleep. This lack impacts on that circadian rhythm which is the process that controls the body clock so that you can end up with unfortunate symptoms that are not unlike jet lag - including morning mood swings, low energy, increased appetite plus a feeling of being withdrawn and passive. Take away the sunlight and you experience an increase in the levels of melatonin – the hormone responsible for making you feel sleepy. - and a decrease in the levels of seratonin which is often called the happy hormone. A deficiency in serotonin can lead to depression while a sleep deprived body can cause stress so that all its functions are on high alert. Such a state can increase blood pressure and the production of stress hormones adding to risk factors for heart attacks and strokes. You need sunlight in the day time and real darkness at night.
:Do you always feel hungry so that you give in to the temptation to keep snacking? It could be that you are not hungry at all but actually sleep deprived. There is increasing evidence that chronic sleep deprivation raises the risk of weight gain. At the same time, if you are overweight or obese then you are more likely to suffer from insomnia. Sleep can even help you to lose weight. This is good news because researchers have found that people who sleep less than seven hours per night are more likely to be overweight or obese. The reason is probably that the lack of sleep impacts the balance of hormones in your body, affecting your appetite.
Now that you know its importance, how can you ensure a good night's sleep?
- Many plants and herbs can be soothing and calming and even improve the quality of your sleep or help insomnia. Most plants are great at removing toxins from the air including those found in homes. The moisture given off by all house plants helps to counteract the formation of airborne microbes so as to diminish the allergens in rooms, especially the bedroom.
- Give your body clock a routine by getting up and going to bed at the same time each day with time to unwind before bed especially if it has been a hectic day. The main cause of insomnia is a busy mind working overtime.
- Take a hot bath to raise the body’s core temperature before bringing it down again. Add 3 drops of essential oil such as H-Insomnia to the bath water and once you are dried off, massage a drop under each foot. If you find that you wake up in the night and cannot get back to sleep again, apply a further drop under each foot.
- Make sure your bedroom is dark, quiet and cool with plenty of ventilation.
- Treat yourself to some cherries as these are a great source of melatonin, making the perfect bedtime snack along with a handful of walnuts. When cherries are out of season, drink some pure, natural cherry juice instead.
- Ensure your mattress is not old and decrepit. A biometric foam mattress may suit you better than a memory foam mattress because the latter can raise the body’s temperature and lead to insomnia.
- It is important to get up once you have had a good night’s sleep – for example 8 hours. If you sleep longer, the hormones that you need to get you up and going will not be used properly and you may well feel sluggish. A refreshing shower is the best way to get you in the right frame of mind for the day ahead.
Sleep - truly the most important item in that beauty kit.
- Sleep helps your body repair itself, particularly the damage caused by stress, ultraviolet rays and any other harmful exposures. This is because your cells produce more protein when you sleep, forming the building blocks for cells, allowing them to repair damage.