ZINC OXIDE for a More Natural Sunscreen
We are constantly implored by the media and the medical profession to use skin block or sunscreen when out in the sun.
Unfortunately, many of those sun blocks and sunscreens available are full of toxic chemicals and really don’t do our skin any favors.
But fortunately, there is one that is safe to use and works well when you really need sun protection.
And that is Zinc Oxide
There are many benefits with this type of sunscreen…
- When you use zinc oxide, those particles in the sunscreen sit invisibly on the surface of your skin – and they bounce the UV rays off the skin in much the same way that balls bounce off a hard surface.
- And there is no chemical reaction at your skin level as there is with chemical sunscreens.
- Zinc oxide gives you broad spectrum protection from UVB all the way through to UV-A1, meaning your skin is getting the best sun protection possible.
- Zinc oxide is a stable sunscreen ingredient that is much less likely than chemical ingredients to break down in the bottle or on your skin.
- It is invisible on your skin and does not irritate sensitive skin.
- Zinc oxide is not absorbed into your body; it stays on your skin where you put it and where it can protect you from the sun.
What is zinc oxide?
Zinc oxide is made from zinc, a type of metallic element found in nature and also now used in many different electronic, chemical and household products.
As with other elemental metals (such as iron or electrolytes like magnesium), zinc is able to carry a certain electric charge that gives it special benefits within the body.
Zinc benefits affect different systems of the body, including the immune system, digestive tract, brain and skin — where it is used as a type of important “building block” for protein synthesis, enzyme creation, and metabolic processes.
While zinc itself can be found in nature, zinc oxide itself does not occur naturally. It is created when zinc is chemically heated and combined with oxygen molecules. The two elements are vaporized, condensed, and formed into a powder that is fine, white, crystallized and sits on top of the skin providing a protective layer.
The downside of commercial sunscreens
This downside is that most commercial sunscreens have to combine several different chemicals into one product to prevent sunburn occurring. Unfortunately, the higher the number of chemicals, the higher the risks of side effects – such as allergies, irritations and more.
This is why it is so vital to look for a natural sunscreen. For example, one that has zinc oxide as a main ingredient.
Why we need regular sunlight without putting on sunscreen
There are 3 ways to get that all-important Vitamin D that we all need. This is through food, sunlight and supplements. Unfortunately, you will only be able to derive small amounts from your diet.
Sunlight is the very best way to absorb vitamin D and we should try to spend some twenty minutes daily with as much skin as possible exposed to the sun – during the warmer months. As soon as the skin starts to turn pink, move out of the sun or cover up.
If you are not getting enough daily sunlight during the warmer months or are unable to spend much time outdoors, it is essential to supplement with Vitamin D3 as part of your beauty regime. Our body makes Vitamin D only if it is exposed to sunlight.
It is also important to know that as you age, or if you have a darker skin, the less vitamin D you are able to absorb. The pigment melanin reduces the skin‘s ability to absorb Vitamin D. If you have a combination of being older with a darker skin, you are even more at risk of Vitamin D deficiency.
Sunlight is for our benefit in moderate doses - and if we have to use a sunscreen, then it is advisable to go for as natural a version as possible.