10 Superfoods To Boost Your Health | Amoils.com
Why is it that people are so quick to rush for a pharmaceutical drug to sort out a health problem when there are all those super foods out there that are powerful enough to lower your cholesterol, reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer, elevate your mood and all without the risk of side effects?
And that is just a handful of the benefits – there are many more!
1. Apples – these have been touted as a health food for decades but it is true that an apple a day can keep the doctor away. Best to buy organic – a raw apple is loaded with vitamins and make sure you eat the pips as well, as these are tiny powerhouses of nutrients.
2. Blueberries and all the other berries are not only super foods but super fruits too. Berries are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients while being low in calories, and high in water and fiber to help control blood sugar and keep you fuller longer. A perfect substitute for candies. Blueberries top the list because they have the highest source of antioxidants and they are readily available all year round. They are also high in the B vitamins, vitamin C and niacin.
3. Broccoli is considered to be one of the healthiest vegetables and is loaded with essential B vitamins. If you can include broccoli in your diet twice a week, you will be helping to ward off certain types of cancer. It tastes good, does you good and is also available all year round. Broccoli is a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and bone-building vitamin K, and has plenty of fiber to fill you up especially if you are trying to control your weight.
4. Eggs are back in fashion and rightly so. They are exceptionally nutritious, versatile, economical and a great way to fill up on quality protein. A breakfast egg or two will keep you feeling fuller longer so that you eat fewer calories during the day. Filled with 12 vitamins and minerals, including choline which is good for brain development and memory, eggs are a versatile and essential super food to keep in your kitchen.
5. Chocolate is now thought to be instrumental in regulating blood pressure while being packed full of antioxidants. However, it has to be dark chocolate, the darker the better and the lower the fat and sugar content. Look out for organic chocolate in health stores with high levels of cacao.
6. Oats help lower your cholesterol and increase your fiber intake while being low in calories and high in protein. Oats are also a rich source of magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, thiamine and pantothenic acid. They also contain phytonutrients such as polyphenols, phytoestrogens, lignins, protease inhibitors, and vitamins. All these health benefits make oats a worthy contender to be on this list of 10 super foods.
7. Nuts have so much to offer and even peanut butter can be considered a super food as it is packed with omega-3 fatty acids. All nuts are high in protein and “good fat” with Brazil nuts being ideal for your heart, almonds for lowering cholesterol and walnuts for their omega- 3 fatty acids content. But you must eat nuts raw and not roasted to get the full benefit.
8. Tea whether black tea, green tea or rooibos, all have healthy benefits. Though full of antioxidants for lowering cholesterol and inhibiting cancer, green tea has the additional and extra special ECGC antioxidant to prevent cancer cell growth. Men who drink green tea have lower cholesterol.
9. Tomatoes are a super food rich in lycopene and thought to protect against prostate cancer in men and breast cancer in women. There is also a link between tomatoes and protection from UV sun damage.
10. Salmon is a super food because of its omega-3 fatty acid content, helping to protect against heart disease plus providing a good source of iron and protein. There is a concern about mercury so know your source. All fatty fish can help keep cholesterol low as research has shown that it is the fish oils that actually help lower your cholesterol.
Add all these super foods to your diet and you will not go far wrong. And they are just the tip of the iceberg – there are many more to try too.