Are Super Lice Invading Your Child’s Hair? | Amoils.com
Head Lice have always been around – making their presence felt particularly in our vulnerable children and causing discomfort and even infection when a child scratches too vigorously and the skin is broken. But now there are super lice and doesn’t that provoke an image of a larger-than-life, rampaging species of lice. Fortunately, these super lice don’t look or act any differently to your regular lice but they are resistant to those over-the-counter lice treatments that contain insecticide.
Over-the-counter lice medications contain dangerous insecticides
Maybe this will be a wake up call for parents! Perhaps parents and doctors will start to realize that we should not be putting insecticides, and therefore poisons, on our children’s heads in the first place.
- Head lice do not hop or jump from one head to another – they are spread by close contact such as by sharing hair brushes, combs, hair accessories, hats, pillows and even car head rests.
- Playing sports with head to head contact can also spread lice.
- Head lice are a parasite of opportunity so if you or your child has head lice, it is not because your hair is dirty.
- These tiny, wingless, insects live and feed on blood from your scalp like minute vampires!
- And they are very common, being the second most communicable disease in school children after the common cold.
- Adults and children alike are always going to be more at risk where there are lots of children such as schools, summer camps and child care centers.
There is absolutely no reason why you should not use a natural and therefore poison-free head lice treatment on your child’s head when you discover or suspect lice. The lice are found particularly around the nape of the neck. Don’t use a hair conditioner while treating for head lice and do use a fine toothed comb to try and remove the lice eggs as well. Keep doing this on a regular basis. Adult lice can live for up to a month on your child’s head where they will feed several times a day.
Without nutrition, lice will die within a day or two
The worrying aspect is that researchers continue to experiment with new and stronger insecticides to use in-over-the-counter and prescription shampoos in an effort to beat the super lice. But at what cost to our children. When will parents and doctors say: “Enough is enough!” A new product that is said to work in 30 minutes instead of the usual 12 hours is awaiting approval by the Federal Food and Drug Administration. You can only imagine how strong the poisons in that product must be.
Over-diagnosis also becomes a problem as it contributes to hysteria among parents who keep perfectly healthy children out of school. Richard J. Pollack who is a public health entomologist at the Harvard School of Public Health points out that those real, as well as imagined infestations, are over-treated, often multiple times. Think of all that poison being applied to children’s heads over and over again and sometimes for absolutely no reason.
It is time that children are protected from over zealous parents and health care providers – don’t look for the easiest way out by applying poisons to your child’s head. Make time for some extra research to find a safer, gentler way to treat lice, and even super lice, so that you are not putting your child at unnecessary risk.
There are already too many toxic substances around without adding to them.