As Cool as a Cucumber!
I have always loved and enjoyed eating cucumbers – whether in a salad or a sandwich – but there are many other cool reasons why cucumbers are so useful to have around…
We share the top ten tips
1. Suffering from that mid afternoon slump whether at work or at home, snack on some cucumber for a quick pick-me-up! Cucumbers are a good source of B vitamins and carbohydrates that can keep you going for a couple more hours! Cucumbers were popular as a food on the go for trappers, traders and explorers for quick meals to avoid starvation.
2. Finding that your bathroom mirror keeps getting all steamed up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing and natural spa-like fragrance.
3. Slugs and snails decimating your favorite salad leaves in the vegetable patch? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and the natural chemicals in the cucumber will react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but which sends unwanted garden pests elsewhere.
4. Looking for a quick fix to remove signs of cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes. The phytochemicals in the cucumber will cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. The same trick can be used on wrinkles too.
5. Suffering from headaches? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache-free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body might have lost.
6. Who has a shoe cleaning kit on hand these days just when you need it? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe and its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.
7. Is that squeaky hinge, door or anything else similar getting on your nerves? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problem area and the squeak will disappear.
8. No time for a spa visit or facial in spite of feeling the need? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress.
9. Worried about your breath after eating raw onions or garlic? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for thirty seconds to eliminate bad breath. The phytochemicals will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing that bad breath.
10. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the hand writing. This method also works on getting rid of the drawings and more (from crayons and markers) that your children have made on the walls in the home…
And of course when you do use cucumbers in your salad, they come with most of the vitamins you need every day.
Just one cucumber contains the B Vitamins 1, 2,3,5 and 6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.