Celery Juice can be a Natural Remedy for Headaches & Migraines
There are many different types of headaches and migraines but they all have something in common – pain and discomfort.
A daily drink of celery juice can be a natural remedy for you if you suffer from headaches or migraines.
There are other health benefits from celery juice too. Drink a large glass first thing in the morning to gain these benefits.
Start with an 8 ounce glass and gradually increase to 16 ounces.
Here are some of health benefits
- To heal and activate the gut. This is because the celery juice helps to restore hydrochloric acid, aiding a faster and more efficient digestion. The juice also helps increase stomach acid to help break down food.
- To lower cholesterol. Celery contains a compound called 3-n-butylphthalide (BuPh). This is reported to have lipid-lowering action, reducing the LDL cholesterol in your bloodstream.
- To act as a natural anti-inflammatory. Celery juice contains Polyacetylene, helping to reduce chronic joint pain, gout and rheumatoid arthritis while soothing the nerves with its calming and relaxing properties.
- To lower blood pressure. Celery juice acts as a smooth muscle relaxant, improving the flow of calcium and potassium in cells and allowing blood vessels to expand and contract more easily.
- To help the liver. Studies have found that celery helps reduce fat build-up in the liver.
- To improve digestion. This is achieved by increasing circulation in the intestines. Celery juice is said to be good for constipation, bloating, puffiness and water retention, acting as a gentle, mild, natural laxative and diuretic.
- To fight infection. Research has shown that compounds found in celery contain powerful antimicrobial properties that fight infections and naturally boost immunity. The juice reduces uric acid and stimulates urine production, helping to fight bacterial infections and to prevent UTIs, bladder and kidney disorders.
- Celery Juice is alkalizing. An alkaline diet can lengthen life and prevent chronic diseases.
- To give you lots of nutrition. Celery is loaded with essential minerals and vitamins such as folate, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin K and vitamin C, providing a cocktail of goodness for the skin and even helping with skin conditions like psoriasis and acne.
- And of course not forgetting the headaches and migraines. The cooling effect of celery combined with the balance of electrolytes can be helpful to stop a headache or migraine in its tracks.
How to make celery juice
In his book Liver Rescue, Anthony Williams writes: “Celery Juice is one of the most powerful and healing juices we can drink. Just 16 ounces of fresh celery juice every morning on an empty stomach can transform your health and digestion in as little as one week.”
[Just one word of warning on drinking celery juice is that some people can be allergic and there are other side effects too which are outlined here.]
For the most benefits, the suggestion is to drink it just as it is and, if possible, using organic celery made fresh every morning! If time is precious, make enough for two days and store the second day’s supply in the refrigerator. Take it out the next morning in time for it to reach room temperature before drinking.
- To make in a juicer, use one bunch of organic celery, cutting off the base to separate the stalks, before washing them in clean water. Feed the celery through your juicer and it is ready to drink or store.
- To make in a blender, again use one bunch of organic celery and cut off the base to separate the stalks. Wash in clean water and then chop the celery stalks into one inch pieces and place them in the blender. Add 1/4 cup of purified water and put the lid on the blender before blending until smooth. Place a clean nut milk bag over the mouth of a pitcher or bowl and pour the blended celery through the nut milk bag. Use your hands to squeeze the celery juice through the bag. Drink immediately or store some for the next day in a sealed mason jar in the refrigerator.
They can vary in frequency, severity and cause.
While over-the-counter pain medications may help manage headaches and migraines, natural remedies are always safer and more gentle.
Along with the daily celery juice, we can offer our very own H-Headaches Formula.