Our 5 Suggestions for the Removal of Age Spots, Naturally!
After the age of 40, the sad and the bad news is that the skin is unable to regenerate as rapidly as it did. And age spots can start to appear. They can be light brown, reddish brown or black and are normally flat.
While age spots are not usually anything serious, they can be very annoying because they point to the fact that we are aging. At the same time, any irregular dark spots that increase in size, or change in color or texture, should be checked by a doctor to rule out anything suspect.
But there is good news as they can be treated
If you decide to go to a dermatologist to treat your age spots, he or she could suggest treating them with Retinol, HQ creams, chemical peels and spot treatments, microdermabrasion, laser treatments or light therapy. Sadly, many commercial products contain potentially harmful additives and chemicals
Is exposure to the sun solely to blame?
While the sun can be a risk, it is not the only culprit. As we age, our metabolism changes and the liver can become overwhelmed with toxins. If the liver cannot rid the body of these toxins, age spots (often known as liver spots) can begin to develop. Oxidation within the body and a lack of antioxidants in your diet can also play an important role in the development of age spots. So age spots can also be due to dietary and nutritional deficiencies.
Regular ways to combat age spots
The cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries would of course prefer us to use their methods with expensive creams and lotions, toxic OTC medications or costly in-house treatments.
But wouldn’t you prefer a more natural way?
These are our 5 suggestions
1. Apple cider vinegar (and preferably organic) is one of the most widely used natural treatment for age spots. Apply a little apple cider vinegar directly onto the age spots and leave for 30 minutes before rinsing off. Be careful to use this treatment just once a day as it can be drying on the skin. You should start to see an improvement in the appearance of the age spots after about six weeks. For added benefit, mix one part apple cider vinegar with one part onion juice (which you can extract by pushing chopped onion through a strainer) and apply this to the age spots instead.
2. Applying Aloe Vera gel to age spots is an effective way reduce their appearance and gentle enough for all skin types. Aloe contains a concentrated mix of compounds that nourish skin and promote cellular regeneration, keeping the skin hydrated and young too. If you have a plant at home, you can use some fresh gel from its leave to apply to age spots. Here is how: cut a leaf and press a little with your fingers to take out the gel; apply to age spots; leave for about 30 minutes before washing off with water; repeat twice a day for a month or longer until your skin has lightened. It may feel a bit sticky on application.
3. The acid in lemon juice can help to fade the look of age spots by dabbing on freshly squeezed lemon juice twice a day. You should begin to notice an improvement in their appearance after about two months. Leave the juice on the skin for at least 30 minutes or even overnight. If you are going outdoors, let the juice dry first.
4. The lactic acid in buttermilk will help the skin to be refreshed and become lighter. Pour some into a bowl and dip in a cotton ball before squeezing out any excess. Use the ball to apply to the age spots and leave for 10 to 15 minutes before washing off with water. If you have an oily or acne prone skin, add a little lime juice to the buttermilk before using. For added benefit, mix a little tomato juice in with the buttermilk as tomato also contains bleaching properties.
5. H-Age Spots Formula is a dark spot removal alternative that is more gentle and kind to your skin because there are no chemicals or synthetic substances in this natural formula. Using the highest quality homeopathic ingredients, and natural essential oils extracted from plants, the formula allows for deep penetration and assists in balancing skin tone to get a more even tone.
If you have age spots, it is important to remember that they took years to form. This means that getting rid of them could take time too. So patience and perseverance are the order of the day…