How To Treat Joint & Muscle Pain, Naturally
You might find it hard to believe that there are at least sixty three different conditions associated with joint and muscle aches and pains. It can be something as simple as not getting enough exercise (so that we stiffen up) or having too much exercise (where we over do it) right through to suffering from conditions known as fibromyalgia or even lupus.
The signs and symptoms of joint pain
- Joint stiffness or weakness
- Joint redness
- Joint swelling
- Muscle cramp
- Joint tenderness
- Joint warmth
- Limping, locking of the joint or loss of range of motion of the joint
Joint pain can be caused by injury – affecting any of the ligaments, bursae or tendons surrounding the joint – but injury can also affect the ligaments, cartilage and bones within the joint. Pain is also a feature of (a) joint inflammation (present in such conditions as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis), (b) infection and (c) very rarely a cause of cancer of the joint.
Pain within the joint will frequently appear as shoulder pain, ankle pain or pain in the knees.
Joint pain care at home
While severe joint pain, especially when caused by degenerative conditions like arthritis, needs proper diagnosis and treatment, you can treat milder joint pain in the comfort of your own home.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little raw honey in a glass of warm milk and drink daily for a few days.
- Enjoy regular massage therapy to improve joint pain, stiffness and mobility.
- Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin with natural analgesic or pain-relieving properties. Slightly heat one-half cup of coconut oil. Mix in two tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder. Apply it on the affected area, leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off. Do this a few times a day until you get relief from the pain. Alternatively, you can use a capsaicin cream topically on the affected area daily. Please note that cayenne may initially cause a burning sensation. Do not apply it on open skin or wound.
- Our own H-Joint & Muscle Pain Formula is now available.
You should consult your doctor if your joint pain is accompanied by swelling, redness and tenderness, or lasts for more than three days.
Muscle aches and pains
Muscle aches are extremely common and are also known as muscle pain, myalgia, or simply pain in the muscles. Almost everybody has experienced discomfort in his or her muscles at some point. This is because almost every part of the body has muscle tissue.
The most common causes of muscle aches and pains
- Muscle tension in one or more areas of the body
- Overusing the muscle during physical activity
- Injuring the muscle while engaging in physically demanding work or exercise (muscle sprains and strains are both injuries that can cause muscle aches and pain)
- Even suffering from stress
But there are medical causes for muscle pain too
- Fibromyalgia and lupus (as already mentioned)
- Infections, such as the flu
- The use of certain medications or drugs, such as statins, ACE inhibitors or cocaine
- Dermatomyositis (marked by inflammation and a rash)
- Polymyositis (marked by inflammation and tenderness)
Home care for joint and muscle pain
- Resting the area of the body where you are experiencing aches and pain and giving yourself time to rest too.
- Applying ice to the affected area to help relieve pain and ease inflammation (for up to three days) before changing to heat therapy thereafter.
- Gently stretching the muscles.
- Avoiding high-impact activities until after the muscle pain goes away.
- Avoiding weight-lifting sessions until the muscle pain is resolved.
- Joining in stress-relieving activities and exercises. Suggestions include yoga and meditation to relieve tension.
- And again, we can suggest using H-Joint & Muscle Formula which is applied topically and quickly relieves the pain, discomfort, inflammation and stiffness – naturally.
Muscle aches are not always harmless, and in some instances, home treatment is not enough. Myalgia can also be a sign of something more serious so please do see your doctor if you are concerned.