Making Time For Breakfast Means A Healthier You | Amoils.com
Breakfast is literally “breaking the fast” from the night before
It really does have many benefits.
- Breakfast increases your metabolic rate – that is how fast you burn calories. Eating breakfast will prevent your metabolism from going into the hunger-mode. Several hours after you have eaten, your metabolism shuts down and acts as if it needs to store food. It stores food for emergencies like if a famine were to break out leaving you without food for days.
- Breakfast kick starts your body into gear so that it knows what to expect for the rest of the day. It enables your body to process the next meal as quickly rather than trying to hold onto nutrients which is what would happen if you did not have breakfast in the first place.
- It makes you less likely to snack on high calorie food during the morning.
- Breakfast helps children to perform better on cognitive tests and in school.
- Breakfast helps adults to be more productive and alert. Another important reason to eat breakfast is to help your brain to function at its best. Your brain needs fuel in the form of glucose which comes from the food that you eat, helping you to work, talk and perform all other important activities. Studies have shown that eating breakfast helps to improve concentration, increases the ability to solve problems and boosts your mood.
- Breakfast will actually help those who wish to lose weight to achieve this goal as people who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight.
- Those who eat breakfast are more likely to make good dietary choices the rest of the day.
Suggestions for good breakfasts
So now that you know how important it is to have breakfast, here are some suggested food combinations, remembering to avoid those foods that are high in sugar, sodium, saturated fats and calories – and that includes all processed foods. Breakfast should include protein, good fats and plenty of fiber to help satisfy your hunger and keep you full and on the go for several hours. Free range eggs, dairy products and raw nuts provide protein; fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains such as oats provide the fiber while good fats include butter, olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil.
- A good standby is a lightly boiled free range egg followed by wholegrain toast, butter and raw honey spread with some cinnamon.
- A plate of scrambled eggs with added parsley or a lightly poached egg on wholegrain toast. Eggs are really back in favor again and cannot be bettered for a wholesome food full of so many health benefits.
- Make a bowl of oatmeal and add ground flax seed, frozen blueberries, sliced almonds together with a little cinnamon and honey for a breakfast that has 4 power foods, fiber, nutrients, protein and good fats and tastes good too.
- Fill a bowl with organic yogurt, fresh berries or other fruits and add a healthy version of granola or muesli.
- Half a grapefruit prepared ready to eat in a bowl with a plate of whole-wheat toast spread with almond butter.
- A bowl of fresh fruit salad containing cut up apples, melons, berries, oranges, pears, bananas, grapes or other favorite fruits plus a little bit of lime or lemon juice.
- Protein shake using whey powder blended with milk, some frozen blueberries and almond butter or oatmeal. You can add a little ground flax seed in too.
- Cottage cheese with fruit such as apples, citrus or berries.
- Another fruit and cheese breakfast is to cut off some cheddar cheese and eat with slices of apple and protein rich walnuts.
- Toast a whole-grain or bran waffle and spread with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Top with raisins, sesame seeds, or extra peanuts for even more fiber.
As a last resort, and if you really cannot eat a proper breakfast, split the whole process into 2 smaller meals by eating something less at home and follow it up an hour or two later with a healthy snack such as fruit and a handful of raw nuts.
Remember that a healthy breakfast does not have to be difficult to prepare – keep it simple and the important thing is to actually eat something.
You will benefit in so many ways.