tweet

MCS Is A Debilitating Condition Caused By A Toxic Environment | Amoils.com

Added June 4, 2011, Under: Environment, Skin Conditions

 

POLLUTION IMAGE

I recently met someone who has MCS and as I had not come across it before, I thought I would research this condition and include some information in this blog. As our environment becomes more and more polluted, the numbers with this condition will surely increase so it makes sense for us to know what we could be up against and how we could avoid being affected ourselves.

What is MCS?

MCS or multiple chemical sensitivity is a disorder where people develop extreme reactions to chemicals and other irritants in the environment, often affecting their multiple organ systems. The consequences can vary from mild and immediate to delayed and chronic (and everything in between). While there is no cure for this damaging condition, a sufferer’s quality of life can be improved by the reduction of all environmental and other toxins in their everyday life and surroundings.

How is MCS contracted in the first place?

There are many different ways and these are the main ones that you need to be aware of for your own protection:

  • A single massive exposure or repeated exposures to one or more neuro toxic chemicals.
  • Working or living in a sick building.
  • Being a victim of a chemical accident involving pesticides or solvents.
  • Living near toxic waste sites.
  • Living near areas where the air or water is highly polluted.

Once someone is affected with MCS, the following triggers and symptoms may be experienced (and of course these vary from person to person):

  • Petrol fumes: dizziness, nausea, headaches.
  • Formaldehyde : stinging eyes and nose, breathlessness.
  • Paint fumes: headache, flu-like symptoms, nausea.
  • Tap water: itching skin, eczema, breathlessness.
  • Magazines and newspapers: breathlessness, wheezing or headache.
  • Sugar: stomach ache, being bloated, nausea.
  • Aspirin: wheezing, eczema, skin problems.
  • Tartrazine: wheezing, breathlessness, eczema.
  • Perfumes and cosmetics: asthma-like problems, skin problems.
  • Cleaning products: wheezing, eczema, nausea.
  • Jewellery: skin irritation, itching.
  • Cigarette smoke: wheezing, headache, nausea.
  • Department stores: wheezing, stinging eyes, fatigue.
  • Electrical appliances: multiple problems.
  • Isocyanate: asthma-like, headache, nausea, eyes itch.
  • Furniture and carpet treatments: headache, asthma-like symptoms.

And this is just a small selection

While MCS can affect people of any age, it is most likely in middle age. Initial symptoms may occur up to a few days after exposure and depending on the type of exposure can last for just a few minutes, a week, months or worst case – years.

While it is easier to control your environment in your own home, the work place is a different matter. You will need to enlist the help of your employers by asking if your colleagues could be made aware of the problem so that smoking and perfume are not prevalent; that your work station or desk is sited well away from any sources of toxins and that you are able to open a window if at all possible for a fresh air supply.

If you know someone who suffers from such a condition, do all you can to make life a little easier by being aware of how difficult a toxic environment can be to them.

Amoils Fans on Facebook