The Significance & Value of Vitamin C | Amoils.com
There is a lot else that this vitamin does
- Vitamin C plays a critical role in the formation of collagen, which is the connective tissue that holds together the structures of your body. If you cannot make collagen, you end up with bleeding gums and aching joints. Collagen is so important because it is found in most of the tissues throughout the body. Because vitamin C helps encourage collagen production, it’s an important nutrient for wound healing.
- Vitamin C protects many other nutrients that our bodies need such as vitamin E, folic acid and iron, helping them to work effectively.
- Vitamin C fights and even prevents cancer.
- Vitamin C prevent us from the risks of stroke, heart and other cardiovascular disease.
Vitamin C boosts our immunity systems – a strong immune system is so important to every aspect of our health.
- Vitamin C is a great antioxidant, helping clean up the damage caused by free radicals.
- Vitamin C is good for your skin too, fighting those wrinkles that are formed due to sunlight, smoke and pollution.
- Vitamin C reduces high blood pressure in hypertensive people.
- Vitamin C makes bones strong – as well as making collagen, Vitamin C also stimulates bone building cells and enhances the effects of calcium and vitamin D.
- Vitamin C fight against bacteria, viruses and infection.
- Vitamin C contributes to good eye health. Studies suggest that vitamin C may help reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration. Vitamin C is also one of the top antioxidants in your eye lens and it prevents cataracts from developing. It also helps keep the shape of the cornea as the nutrient strengthens capillaries and builds collagen.
There are many foods that are high in vitamin C and these include
Vegetables: cabbage, chili peppers, green leafy vegetables including spinach, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, watercress, garlic and more.
Fruits: grapefruit, guava, kiwis, mango, oranges, orange juice, strawberries, watermelon, lemon, cherries, bilberries and most of the red fruits.
It is so important to eat a diet that is high in fresh vegetables and fruits
The importance of vitamin C in maintaining optimal health cannot be overstated. For your health, it is crucial to get your daily dose of this power vitamin. Even if you are eating all those vitamin C enriched fruit and veggies, you will probably still need to supplement because in many cases there are less nutrients in the soil today as well as other contributing factors.
A good start when taking vitamin C supplements is 500 mg for children and 2 to 4 grams for adults if they are non-smokers. Smokers will of course need more. If you’re trying to cure a cold or prevent illness from coming on, extra doses of vitamin C are the way to go, helping your body maintain healthy tissues and giving your immune system a real boost.
A suggested vitamin C supplement to try is Acerola Cherry Powder.