We All Use Them Every Day But How Dangerous Are They? | Amoils.com
A recent report tells us:
- People who use their mobile phones for at least 30 minutes a day for 10 years have a greater risk of developing brain cancer, a landmark study has found.
- The chance of suffering from a malignant tumor is increased by more than a third with prolonged use, according to a long-awaited report by the World Health Organisation.
The outcome of the 10-year Interphone study — the largest of its kind, compiling research from 13 countries — has been eagerly anticipated by both the phone industry, which contributed substantially to its funding, and campaigners who warn of radiation risks from handsets.
Its results, which will be published this week, show that only those in the “heaviest user” category are at increased risk of developing glioma tumours, a type of brain cancer.
This category includes anyone who regularly uses their handset for more than 30 minutes a day
They concluded that there was no increased risk of cancer in other users. However, the report is expected to spark a row over the validity of its findings. The scientists have admitted that more research will be needed because of their broad categorisation of heavy phone use and also because phone users under the age of 30 were excluded from the study. Interphone scientists defined a “regular” mobile user as anyone making one call a week over a six-month period.
The average mobile phone use of those in the study was between two and 2 1/2 hours a month
“Today mobile phone use has become much more prevalent and it is not unusual for young people to use mobile phones for an hour or more a day.” the scientists said in a statement. Some of the questions raised by the Interphone research are puzzling. The statistics appear to show that at lower levels of usage, mobile phones actually protect against cancer, something that even the study’s authors reject as implausible.
Critics of the Interphone study, which was based on interviews with more than 5,000 brain cancer victims, claim omissions and errors have left it deeply flawed. They believe that the propensity of mobile-phone radiation to cause cancer is much greater than the study shows. A new piece of research, backed by the European Union, has been launched to investigate possible links between brain tumors in children and mobile phone use.”
As the report rightly points out, this research is deeply flawed
We all know that the average use of a cell phone is not 2.5 hours per month – there are many who use them much more than that per day! The researchers considered anyone who used their cell phone for more than 30 minutes a day to be a heavy user. These days, more than 30 minutes a day would be an average user. Going by these figures, many more people are at risk of glioma tumours, a type of brain cancer, than the researchers are admitting to.
It is important to be aware that the cell phone industry themselves helped to fund this study. So of course they will have their own self interests at heart rather than the welfare of their consumers.
According to Dr. Mercola on his website, he recommends the following safeguards regarding the use of cell phones. Without a doubt when you read these suggestions, you will think twice about your own use.
- Children Should Never Use Cell Phones: Barring a life-threatening emergency, children should not use a cell phone or a wireless device of any type. Children are far more vulnerable to cell phone radiation than adults, because of their thinner skull bones and other factors.
- Reduce Your Cell Phone Use: Turn your cell phone off more often. Reserve it for emergencies or important matters.
- Use a Land Line at Home and at Work: Although more and more people are switching to using cell phones as their exclusive phone contact, it is a dangerous trend and you can choose to opt out of the madness.
- Reduce or Eliminate Your Use of Other Wireless Devices: You would be wise to cut down your use of these devices. Just as with cell phones, it is important to ask yourself whether or not you really need to use them every single time. Even portable home phones, including the older type that operates at 900 MHz, can be a problem. In fact All DECT portable phones are a problem.
- Use Your Cell Phone Only Where Reception is Good: The weaker the reception, the more power your phone must use to transmit, and the more power it uses, the more radiation it emits, and the deeper the dangerous radio waves penetrate into your body. Ideally, you should only use your phone with full bars and good reception. Also seek to avoid carrying your phone on your body as that merely maximizes any potential exposure. Ideally put it in your purse or carrying bag.
- Turn Your Cell Phone Off When Not in Use: As long as your cell phone is on, it emits radiation intermittently, even when you are not actually making a call.
- Keep Your Cell Phone Away From Your Body When it is On: The most dangerous place to be, in terms of radiation exposure, is near the emitting antenna. You do not want any part of your body near this area and proximity is everything. The closer the phone is to your body, the worse the exposure – the exposure falls off dramatically with distance. Thus, using the speaker mode, the farther you can keep the phone away from your body and still hear the call, the better.
- Use Safer Headset Technology: Wired headsets will certainly allow you to keep the cell phone farther away from your body. However, if a wired headset is not well-shielded — and most of them are not — the wire itself acts as an antenna attracting ambient radio waves and transmitting radiation directly to your brain and your body, for example over your heart. Make sure that the wire used to transmit the signal to your ear is shielded. The best kind of headset to use is a combination shielded wire and air-tube headset.
No doubt, there will be a lot more written about this report and its findings.
It is in all our interests to keep reading and to be informed.