What can YOU do to Prevent Cancer? | Amoils.com
While not all health problems can be avoided, there is much you can do to prevent cancer.
A large percentage of cancer related deaths are directly linked to lifestyle choices such as smoking, drinking, a lack of exercise plus an unhealthy diet. So avoiding cigarettes, minimizing alcohol and making sure you get regular exercise are a great start to an anti-cancer lifestyle.
Plus you need to look at your eating habits. You could even be consuming foods and beverages that fuel cancer.
5 top foods that prevent cancer
When eaten raw, they are all even more beneficial.
Plant based foods are cancer fighting powerhouses because they have less fat, more fiber and more cancer fighting nutrients so that these 3 elements work together to (a) support your immune system and (b) help your body fight off cancer.
- Berries – strawberries, blueberries and raspberries contain strong phytochemicals that work to prevent cancer while the vitamin C present in large quantities in most berries protects against esophagus cancer. Raspberries contain ellagic acid which is both an antioxidant as well as a neutralizer of some carcinogenic substances, helping to prevent skin, bladder, lung and other cancers. Blueberries contain strong antioxidants. Though not a berry, grapes contain the chemical resveratrol which is a very potent antioxidant that can prevent cell damage before it begins.
- Cruciferous vegetables – these include broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bok choy and kale and contain various nutrients that are essential regulators of the natural enzyme system helping to protect the body against cancers of the digestive tract from the mouth to the stomach and colon.
- Dark green leafy vegetables – these include spinach, kale, collard greens and Swiss chard. The fiber in these vegetables helps protect against colorectal cancer; folate and carotenoids help prevent cancers of the mouth and larynx while inhibiting the growth of cancer cells in the breasts, the skin, the lungs and the stomach. Other green foods full of rich nutrients are wheat grass and barley grass.
- Garlic – this is a very potent anti-cancer food and when eaten raw provides a number of cancer-fighting nutrients that can slow or stop the growth of prostate, bladder or colon tumors. Also diallyl disulfide (a component of garlic) is thought to prevent skin, colon and lung cancer. Don’t forget about chili peppers, scallions, onions, chives, leeks and shallots too.
- Legumes – beans, lentils and other legumes contain nutrients that protect cells from weakness that can lead to cancer while inhibiting the growth and division of cancer cells. They are even anti-aging! Raw ground flax seed is rich in ALA which studies have shown can inhibit the formation of colon, breast, skin and lung tumors while whole grains contain a variety of anti-cancer compounds including antioxidants, fiber and phytoestrogens.
All of the above will help to boost your antioxidants which are powerful vitamins that protect against cancer and help the cells in your body to function optimally. Then if you eat a wide range of brightly colored fruits and vegetables, you will be getting plenty of phytochemicals. In addition, flavor your food with immune boosting spices such as garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric, basil, rosemary and coriander. Don’t forget to wash it all down with plenty of water which stimulates the immune system, removes wastes and toxins and transports the nutrients to all your organs.
A good helping of each super foods EVERY DAY provides you with anti cancer protection
This, together with your daily dose of vitamin D, is vitally important. First prize for vitamin D is daily sunlight. If this not possible during any grey winter months, then take a vitamin D3 supplement.
At the same time, you need to avoid those cancer causing products like processed meats and diet sodas. Avoid any products with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils as well as fast foods, fried foods and packaged foods which tend to be high in trans fats. The more natural and “whole” the food is – that is the less they have been cooked, peeled, mixed with other ingredients, stripped of their nutrients or altered from the way they were when they were picked or dug up – the better!
You will then be on the right road to avoiding cancer – you can, to a large extent, be responsible for whether or not you develop cancer.
It is no big surprise that that cancer is now regarded as a lifestyle disease.