Will a Raw Food Diet Improve the Symptoms of Eczema?
Whether you are an adult with eczema or have a young child who suffers the symptoms of this condition, there are lifestyle changes that can help your situation. No one wants to endure the flaking, scaling, peeling, redness and roughness that eczema can produce.
Along with taking care of and treating the eczema skin itself, improvements can also be achieved from the inside out.
Changing to a raw food diet is one of these.
Ideally, the diet of a dedicated raw foodist will include a large proportion of living, nutritionally-dense organic uncooked and unprocessed food along with pure water. Such a diet helps the system to eliminate the toxins that are actually created during the cooking process as well as optimizing health by alkalizing the body.
According to rawfoodlife.com, “When you eat more cooked food you are consuming acidic toxins faster than your body can eliminate them so they back up, disrupting your body’s delicate acid/alkaline balance, a major cause of excess weight and disease. Heating food above 118 degrees F. causes the chemical changes that create acidic toxins, including the carcinogens, mutagens and free-radicals associated with diseases like diabetes, arthritis, heart disease and cancer. Cooking also destroys the live enzymes that aid in digestion and health.”
So can eczema be improved by such a raw food diet too?
Annie Jaffrey says “yes” in her article here where she shares before and after photos of her daughter with eczema at its very worst and the improvements that came with changing her diet. She is a converted advocate pointing out that these improvements were because of her daughter changing to a raw food diet and setting her free from the never ending cycle of pharmaceuticals and medicated treatments.
She points out “Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates.
What can be included in a high raw food diet?
Here are some suggestions:
- Raw honey, coconut oil, raw dairy butter and cheese or almond butter used as a spread.
- Bowl of raw cereal – oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruit with almond milk or raw dairy milk.
- Lots of green juices or smoothies made with fresh fruit and/or vegetables.
- Raw free range eggs from a reliable source that can be whipped up into smoothies, homemade salad cream or even desserts.
- Rich raw salads full of different types of lettuce, arugula, celery, carrots, tomatoes, onions, grated raw beetroot, peppers and more.
- Coleslaw salad with chopped up raw cabbage, grated carrots and apples, a hint of raw onion, some raisins and mixed with a home made salad cream.
- A wrap “sandwich” with lettuce wrapped around avocado, raw hummus and other raw veggies.
- Nuts and nut cheeses but no more than a handful of nuts a day because too many can make you feel sluggish. This is because nuts are rich in oils that can slow down the cleansing properties of other foods.
- All kinds of seeds both sprouted and unsprouted.
- All types of raw fruit as well as ice cream made with just pure fruit.
- Raw dark chocolate.
Other improvements that can be achieved from the inside out
- Dry flaky skin and eczema are often signs of a deficiency in omega-3 fat so if you can increase healthy fats in your diet (and via supplementation), these may well boost the skin’s appearance.
- Limiting sugar and grains, and supplementing with fermented foods or beneficial probiotic bacteria, may help to reduce eczema too.
- As set out above under a high raw food diet, eating plenty of whole, bioavailable organic foods, including plenty of fresh vegetables, is the number one strategy for supplying the necessary nutrients the skin needs to thrive.
3-step improvements that can be made to get rid of eczema topically
- Dry skin brushing combined with use of a natural scrub to exfoliate, followed by a natural moisturizer, can help to get rid of dry skin topically.
- Avoiding exposure to irritating, detergents, soaps and other substances which can cause contact eczema.
- Applying H-Eczema Formula which is suitable for adults and children of all ages to work naturally with the body to heal the symptoms of eczema – soothing to the skin and fast acting. This natural formula provides relief from itching and discomfort; while decreasing the severity and frequency of outbreaks in a safe, natural and gentle way.
And always try to minimize any stress because this can promote inflammation and eczema.