The human papilloma virus (HPV) causes the skin condition of warts. There are more than 80 strains of HPV and many of these are responsible for the different warts with individual symptoms as shown in the warts pictures in our image gallery and set out below:blogme
- Common warts– the most common strain and these warts occur all over the body except the feet and genitals. They are often seen in older children and adults. They are tall cylindrical protrusions of skin which if big enough are noticeable. .
- Digitate warts – usually appear on the scalp or near the hair line. They are rough and finger shaped.
- Filiform warts– these are long and narrow and usually seen on the eyelids, face, neck or lips.
- Flat warts– these mostly appear on the face, neck, legs and knees. They are common in young children where they often appear on the face. They are as small as pinheads and can occur in their hundreds.
- Perlungual warts– commonly occur around the fingernails. They are also rough but irregular and elevated. They can extend under the nails causing pain and discomfort and can also occur in clusters.
- Plantar's warts– usually found on the soles of the feet and easily recognized by the black dots (capilliaries) beneath the surface. They can become very painful with the pressure of walking or standing.
Each of these warts has a distinctive appearance as the warts photos show.
When you compare your own warts to the warts images, you should be able to ascertain which type you have. Warts are a very common dermatological complaint affecting 75% of people during their lives. Although many warts may disappear in time, you might well wish to remove them if you find them unsightly. Some warts such as plantar's warts become very stubborn and painful and should be treated. Various treatment options are available.
Have warts? Read more about our Warts Product - H-Warts