Cold Sores Protection
How to protect yourself and others from cold sores
When you have cold sores, make sure that you:
- Change your toothbrush and towels regularly, and don’t let anyone else use them.
- Don’t use those belonging to other people either.
- Don’t share eating utensils or cups and glasses.
- Don’t kiss anyone – particularly babies and small children who are so vulnerable.
- Wash your hands frequently and take care to avoid rubbing your eyes or contact with the genital area to stop the virus spreading.
If you have children you need to explain to them how contagious this virus is and how the steps listed above will protect them from contracting cold sores.
Although twenty per cent of people will get recurring cold sores, they tend to be able to judge when a cold sore is about to appear (from the tingling and/or numb sensation that they felt the first time) and can therefore take preventative measures immediately.