Health Articles > Acne > Acne Prevention
There are many causes of acne and just as many ways of treating this skin condition that affects teens and adults alike but there are also ways to help prevent acne.
- Drink lots of water. Forget about the fruit juice or sodas as they have too much sugar and additives. Water is a natural way of detoxing your body's system, helping to flush out all the impurities that could cause blocked pores and ultimately acne.
- Sunlight is acne prevention. There has been a complete turn about by the medical community regarding sunlight and the importance of vitamin D, which we all need for our bodies to function properly and to prevent all kinds of unwanted conditions. Now we are being told it is safe to go back in the sun so that you get 20 minutes or so of direct sunlight, every day if possible, to top up your vitamin D levels.
The important thing to remember is to avoid too much sun exposure so that you burn. Keep your face in the shade or wear a big hat the rest of the time as sun blocks are full of toxic chemicals. If there is no sun available, top up with a vitamin D supplement.
- Stop stressing and worrying about everything. Reducing your stress levels is another way you can help prevent acne.
- Make sure you get your 8 hours of good quality sleep every night. This is very important.
- Routine cleansing will help to reduce any latent bacteria on the skin's surface so carry out a simple and gentle wash twice a day with a natural non soap cleanser to discard extra sebum and do away with dead skin cells and other debris. Never scrub or rub the skin. Always remove all traces of make up before going to bed and if you do use cosmetics, look for water based products rather than those that contain oil or petroleum. Natural is best.
- Long hair or bangs that constantly touch the face are more likely to be a problem. It becomes difficult to keep the face oil-free or clean as dust particles can get mixed up with the natural oils of the hair. In any event, keep your hair extra clean by washing every day.
- Take a multi-vitamin every day to give your skin extra nutrition.
- A healthy diet should include fresh fruits and vegetables because all the antioxidants they contain will give your immune system a boost, strengthening your protection against acne-causing bacteria. Leave out the sugars, artificial sweeteners, and processed and refined foods.
- Exercise regularly to stimulate the release of serotonin which helps alleviate stress and rid the body of waste and toxic materials.
Following these steps will help to prevent acne but even you do get an outbreak, keep up the same preventative measures as they will help to treat this skin condition too.