Varicose veins do not typically pose an immediate risk to your health, but these can lead to a variety of problems, while also appearing unsightly.
Varicose veins oftenmrun in the family, with the chance of experiencing this problem increasing as you age. These are most common in the ankles and legs, however, they can appear in other parts of the body.
Varicose veins are a direct result of malfunctioning one-way valves that are intended to keep blood flowing efficiently through your legs towards your heart. If these valves do not work, blood can collect in the legs, leading to pressure building up. As a result, veins weaken and eventually become twisted and enlarged.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
To the naked eye, varicose veins are swollen, twisted, and dark blue or black in color. While many people with this problem do not experience symptoms, some will run into the following:
- Itchy feeling over the vein
- Swelling in your ankles or feet
- Burning in your legs
- Pain in your legs
- A feeling of heaviness in your legs
To go along with the mild symptoms detailed above, some people, those in which varicose veins have become a serious problem, may experience these symptoms:
- Calf pain
- Skin changes, including inflammation scaling, and dry skin
- Open sores
Even though some people opt to see their doctor in an attempt to cure this problem, it is not always necessary. In the event that you are not experiencing any symptoms or those you are faced with are mild, there are home treatments and natural cures to consider.
Some of the best and most successful options include:
- Increased exercise, especially to the areas where the varicose veins are present
- Avoid long periods of standing or sitting
- Elevate your legs when resting, such as when you retire for the evening
- Wear compression stockings
- Aging plays a big role in the development of varicose veins, so even if you don’t experience this problem when you are younger, it could become an issue later in life.
- Varicose veins are not usually serious, with most people able to treat this problem at home. If in doubt, always consult your health professional.
Read more about H-Varicose Veins Formula
When compared to varicose veins, spider veins are typically smaller in size. While these also tend to twist and turn, the color can range from red to purple to blue, which is not as common with varicose veins.
Spider veins are most common on the legs and face, but these can be seen on other parts of the body, such as the arms.
Causes of Spider Veins
While many people believe they have done something physical to cause spider veins, this is not typically the case. Instead, there are a number of factors, many of which you cannot control, that lead to this problem:
- Standing throughout the day, such as for your job
- The use of birth control pills
- Hormonal changes, such as during pregnancy, menopause, and puberty
- History of blood clots
- Health conditions that can increase pressure in the abdominal region, including but not limited to constipation and tumors
Note: spider veins are more common in women than in men. Additionally, the chance of this problem developing will increase with age, with some estimates suggesting that anywhere between 30 and 60 percent of the adult population suffers from this problem.
Signs and Symptoms
To go along with the unsightly appearance, including twisted and colored veins, there are other signs and symptoms. This often includes cramping and aching in the legs. Other signs can include:
- Restless legs
- Heaviness in the legs
Most people are able to relieve this pain by simply elevating their legs as a means of improving blood flow.
In the event that elevating your legs is unsuccessful, other treatment options do exist:
- Lifestyle changes, such as losing weight and staying off your feet for extended periods of time
- The use of support stockings
Try this: All Natural Spider Vein Product
Even if spider veins are not causing you any pain or discomfort, you may want to consider these treatment options, among our natural alternatives, to improve the appearance and avoid future issues.