Headache Articles - Amoils.com
Headaches are a very common symptom of many different types of conditions and systems in the human body.
There is a lot you can do to treat a headache without resorting to over-the-counter and prescription drugs. Alternative treatments are gaining popularity worldwide. In addition, making some lifestyle changes as set out below will give headache relief:
- Shrug your shoulders – while in a sitting or standing position, make the effort to relax all the muscles in your body. Then take a deep breath in, contract your shoulder muscles, pulling your shoulders upwards toward your ears. Hold this for several seconds, at the same time letting your shoulders drop quickly. Repeat this process several times.
- Stress makes us take short shallow breaths but this raises the level of carbon dioxide in your body and dilates the blood vessels in your head which can even lead to headache pain. So if you are stressed, inhale slowly through the nose, count up to 5 before exhaling slowing and count to 5 again. If you can repeat this some 12 times, it will help with the headache.
- Try applying either heat or cold to the painful part of the head. Some people find heat more helpful than cold and vice versa. An ice pack should be wrapped in cloth first. A packet of frozen peas in a towel works well. Heat helps muscles to relax more quickly than cold does.
- Acupressure is when you use your finger tips to put pressure on your temples. Place your index and middle fingers of both your hands on the outside edges of your eyebrows and on your temples. Then rub your fingers in small circles with a fair amount of pressure for several seconds followed by pressing your fingers and holding for 4 to 5 seconds before releasing and repeating the process several times.
- Daily exercise is a good headache preventative while yoga is excellent for frequent tension headaches because relaxation and stress reduction are the primary goals of the practice of yoga. Another way to reduce stress and eliminate a headache is to take a brisk walk. Exercise is also a great way to improve the production of endorphins which are the brain's natural painkillers. Dealing with stress successfully and therefore avoiding headaches, often just means giving yourself some time just for you.
- If you can go to bed and get up at the same time every day (even on weekends and during your vacation) this will help to avoid upsetting your sensitive nervous system. This is another way to avoid headaches as any change to that nervous system whether external or internal can be a factor in the onset of headaches. Too much, too little or disrupted sleep are common triggers of headaches.
- Many people are unaware that being dehydrated is a major trigger for headaches. So make sure you get your 8 glasses of water every day. 75% of Americans are dehydrated so are at permanent risk of headaches and many other health problems.
H-Headaches is specially formulated to treat headache symptoms and imay be used from ages 4 years, working in a carminative way to significantly reduce the pain and discomfort of common headaches.
See also Migraine articles