Migraine Pain Relief
For many people migraine is not just an occasional headache but a debilitating condition that can impact on the quality of life for both the sufferer and those around them. It is therefore very important for both the occasional sufferer and the more chronic sufferer to find migraine pain relief.
Over the counter migraine pain relief
If you don’t want to go to your doctor about migraine pain relief, then your pharmacist can be an important ally in your battle against migraine pain. He will be aware of the new over the counter migraine medications now available for migraine relief and these can be very effective especially if taken very early in the attack. It is important to take pain killers quickly as, during an attack, gastric stasis can occur and then the medication cannot be absorbed from your gut into the blood stream. In addition, if you leave it too long, nausea can set it and you may vomit up the medication as soon as you take it. Pain killers taken in soluble form or tablets taken with a sweet fizzy drink will start to work more quickly.
Prescription migraine pain relief
If you find that you are not controlling your migraine pain through other means, then visit your doctor who can prescribe stronger pain killers or painkillers that are combined with anti-nausea ingredients. He will know about possible side effects and whether a particular prescription drug will be suitable for you. If you suffer from frequent attacks, he may prescribe a preventative medication for daily use. As such preventative medications can take some time to build up a beneficial result (up to three months) and even then do not entirely eliminate migraine attacks, he will need to prescribe a further medication for taking should an attack occur.
Natural and alternative ways of dealing with migraine pain
There are some other ways of dealing with migraine pain such as:
- Natural topical products: These are used to treat migraine symptoms, most of which will disappear as the formula targets the blood vessels easing the restrictions which cause the migraine headaches.
- Acupuncture which involves the insertion and manipulation of fine needles at various, prescribed body pressure points. This method can offer relief and a better quality of life for many sufferers.
- Chiropractic methods are used by some migraine sufferers who find they have positive results from this holistic approach to migraine pain relief.
General tips to help you deal with migraine headache pain
Even though you may be taking preventative medicine to stop migraine attacks in the first place, plus other migraine treatment for the pain should an attack occur, there are various other ways to help you cope with such pain:
- Drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day can help reduce pain all over the body. It helps flush out toxins and keep your body in balance.
- Certain foods are excellent painkillers especially green leafy vegetables and beans. In addition, the following foods help cool the body’s inflammatory response, act as analgesics on pain nerves and work within the brain to reduce sensitivity: apples, apricots, avocados, bananas, beets, berries, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, cherries, cucumber, currants, garlic, ginger, grapes, lettuce, mangoes, mushrooms, parsley, peppers, potatoes, spinach, turnips and many more.
- Stress management techniques can also be very helpful
- Exercise such as walking and swimming are very beneficial. If you find it difficult to exercise on your own, then start exercising under the supervision of a trainer or expert.
- Learning to relax using such techniques as relaxation exercises, deep breathing, massage or meditation can be extremely beneficial both in preventing attacks and helping to cope with the pain.
While a migraine is not a life threatening condition, it can have a substantial effect on your life and you need to bring the migraine pain under control so as to limit the impact of the this pain to the absolute minimum
Go to our Migraine and Headache page