Warts Pictures - What do warts look like?
Home > Image Gallery
What are warts, and what do warts look like?
Warts are small, benign growths that appear on the skin. They often have a rough, bumpy texture and can be different colors, ranging from flesh-colored to dark brown or black. Warts are caused by highly contagious agents, which can appear on any body part. Some common places for warts to appear to include the hands, feet, and face. They can be small or large and may occur singly or in clusters.
Types of Warts
Warts typically appear as small, rounded growths on the skin. They may be raised or flat and often have a rough, bumpy texture. Some warts may have a pattern of small, black dots on the surface, which are small, clotted blood vessels. Warts can vary in color but are usually the same color as the surrounding skin. They can occur anywhere on the body, but they are most commonly found on the hands, feet, and face.
- Common warts– the most common strain occurs all over the body except the feet and genitals. They are tall cylindrical skin protrusions that, if big enough, are noticeable. They are often seen in older children and adults.
- Digitate warts–usually appear on the scalp or near the hairline. They are rough and finger-shaped.
- Filiform warts are long and narrow and typically seen on the eyelids, face, neck, or lips.
- Flat warts mostly appear on the face, neck, legs, and knees. They are common in young children, where they often appear on the face. They are as small as pinheads and can occur in their hundreds.
- Periungual warts–commonly occur around the fingernails. They are also rough but irregular and elevated. They can extend under the nails causing pain and discomfort, and can also occur in clusters.
- Plantar warts are usually found on the soles of the feet and are easily recognized by the black dots (capillaries) beneath the surface. They can become very painful with the pressure of walking or standing.
- Genital warts are a type of growth that can appear on the skin in the genital area. This includes the vulva, vagina, and cervix in women and the penis, scrotum, and anus in men. Genital warts can also appear on the thighs, groin, or in and around the anus. Genital warts can be small or large and may occur singly or in clusters. They can be flesh-colored or have a different color, such as dark brown or black.
Each of these warts has a distinctive appearance, as the warts photos show.
When comparing your warts to the images, you should ascertain which type you have. Warts are a common dermatological complaint affecting 75% of people. Many warts may disappear in time, but you can remove them if you find them unsightly. Some warts, such as plantar's warts, become very stubborn and should be treated. Various treatment options are available.
Have warts? Read more about our natural wart removal alternative.
Photos of Warts
warts on foot
Warts on hand
Warts on forearm
Warts on armpit
Close up plantar wart on foot
Warts on plantar foot