Are Wrinkles and Fine Lines Inevitable as We Grow Older?
Wrinkles can be divided into two categories; there are those fine surface lines and then there are deep furrows.
The areas usually most affected are the sensitive skin near the eyes, the lips and neck.
Wrinkles are often considered to be a sign of ageing and so anti-ageing treatments, including natural wrinkle products, have always been popular.
What causes wrinkles?
If the collagen and elastin in the connective tissues of our skin is weakened or if they decrease in number, wrinkles can then appear. Skin damaged in such a way appears thinner, loses fat content, elasticity and smoothness. Gravity also plays a part as it allows the lax tissue to sag. Skin ages all over the body but the process can be hastened where there has been excessive sun exposure.
Skin damage and of course wrinkles can be caused by:
- Dryness and lack of moisture
- Damage from overexposure to the sun
- Occupational and recreational habits where you work or play out in the open much of the time or from some tanning beds
- Heredity (some families wrinkle more than others)
- Injury to the skin
- Surgery to the skin
- Acne and various other skin diseases which have a tendency to scar
- Smoking which hastens the ageing process, while cigarette smoke is one of the biggest culprits for premature wrinkles
- Pollution such as air pollutants, dust, chemicals and harsh lights
- Muscle movement or repeated actions such as squinting, smiling and frowning
- The use of drugs
- Weight loss because the volume of the fat cells is drastically reduced
- Lack of Vitamin E which can cause the quality of the skin to deteriorate
How can we treat and prevent wrinkles?
Smooth, blemish-free skin helps to keep us looking younger but it is not just from the outside as we need to keep our skin wrinkle-free from the inside too. Our skin comprises two layers and wrinkles can start in either layer. That all-important collagen can be greatly boosted by what we put into our bodies so it is vital to avoid smoking, inflammation, insufficient nutrients in the diet, too little oxygen, too much stress and the perils of air pollution.
There is much you can do to avoid or diminish wrinkles including the use of wrinkle treatment:
- A twice daily regime of cleansing the skin of all impurities and make up. A special cleanser for eye make should be used. Use natural products so that you are not adding any toxins and chemicals to the skin.
- Avoid the use of soap on the face as this can be very drying.
- In the mornings, apply a natural moisturizer before the rest of your make up to improve the moisture-holding capacity of the skin.
- Use a natural eye cream for the delicate area round the eyes. Eye cream should always be applied with the 3rd finger because that digit has the lightest touch.
- Use a natural anti-wrinkle cream at night with added nutrients.
- If you sleep on your back, you reduce the gravitational pull on the skin on your face and avoid puffiness in the morning.
- Drink your 8 glasses of water every day. The skin is the first organ to suffer if you are dehydrated.
- Above all do not smoke and don’t allow anyone else to smoke in the same room or in your space.
Although wrinkles are part of the process of getting older, their appearance can be diminished with extra care and natural wrinkle products. H-Glow Formula is formulated to reduce wrinkles on the face, neck and hands and on the body in a natural, gentle way. When topically applied directly to the wrinkles using a small amount of formula, the constituents of H-Glow Formula will help smooth the appearance of wrinkles.
What are some natural treatments for wrinkles?
Here are some ways:
- Astaxanthin is especially important for both males and females to use as they grow older and there are several reasons for this. One is that astaxanthin is an excellent adjunct to vitamin D, acting as an internal sunscreen when it helps to protect the skin from all types of radiation. The other is that astaxanthin works to rejuvenate the skin, improving: crow’s feet; wrinkle size and elasticity; age spot size; moisture content and loss; skin texture; and sebum oil level.
- How about a natural botox face mask with simple ingredients and suitable for all skin types? Use the recipe for a daily mask for at least three weeks for a noticeable improvement in the skin.
- Avoid dietary sugars as well as food cooked at high temperatures which could lead to aging and wrinkles. This is because of the link between wrinkles and glycation. Do you use face wipes to clean the makeup from your face each night? These are not a good idea as we explain in our earlier post - Face wipes and their link with wrinkles.
Reduce the appearance of wrinkles with a healthy diet
- Fish like tuna and salmon are loaded with omega-3 fatty acid. Skin cells are surrounded by a fatty membrane that protects them. When the cells are healthy, they are able to support the structure of the skin.
- Red vegetables improve sun protection such as tomatoes, peppers and beets containing the antioxidant lycopene which also increases collagen levels.
- Dark green vegetables like spinach and kale are rich in vitamin C which has anti-oxidant properties that stabilize the messenger enzymes that break collagen down. These dark green veggies also protect against free radicals to prevent weak collagen.
- Orange vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, which restores and regenerates damaged collagen.
- Berries with blackberries and raspberries scavenging free radicals while simultaneously increasing collagen levels.
- Citrus fruits such as oranges, limes, lemons and grapefruits (rich in vitamin C) are able to help amino acids—lysine and proline—convert to collagen.
- Garlic is one of the best sources of sulfur, which is necessary for collagen production in the body. Garlic also provides lipoic acid and taurine that help rebuild collagen fibers that have been damaged. So change to these healthy lifestyle choices for improved collagen for your skin, from the inside out, while applying our own H-Glow Formula for additional help from the outside in.
What are lip wrinkles and why do they form?
Lip wrinkles form on the lips themselves, appearing as a set of fine vertical lines and often stretching from one side of the mouth to the other.
They can also appear on the skin of the upper lip where the vertical lines stretch upward from the lip toward the nose.
- From the age of twenty, we start to product less collagen every year (by about one per cent) and, as this production decreases, the skin will become thinner and less elastic. It can be noticeable that lips become less full with age.
- The problem is that as aging skin produces less oil, it can lead to dryness. And the lips themselves are especially prone to dryness - they are always exposed to the elements.
- Sun exposure is another major cause.
- Lip wrinkles on the upper lip are often caused by smoking which produces free radicals in the body, contributing to premature aging. Another reason could be the repetitive motion of actually smoking a cigarette.
- Another contributing factor could be the pursing of the lips associated with drinking through a straw or repetitive facial expressions.
How to prevent and/or treat lip wrinkles?
If you start to show signs of aging in the lip area whether on the upper lip itself or above it, you can try to reverse aging with some lifestyle choices and changes. You also have the option of various procedures. These can be costly and may need several sessions to achieve the desired result. Bruising and irritation to the area can be possible side effects.
Our H-Glow Formula can be used on wrinkles wherever and whenever they appear. When applied to the cleansed face and neck or massaged into fine lines themselves, the Formula will assist in rejuvenating, balancing and repairing the skin while encouraging cell regeneration. When used as directed, the product will help to smooth out affected areas by giving a more youthful and fresh appearance.
Wrinkles are creases, folds or ridges in the skin, appearing naturally as we age.
Usually, the first wrinkles tend to appear on a person’s face in areas where the skin naturally folds during facial expressions, developing as the skin becomes thinner and less elastic over time.
Wrinkles also tend to appear on parts of the body that receive most sun exposure, such as the face and neck, back of the hands and arms.
Wrinkles are a natural part of growing older, affecting everyone but many dislike the appearance of wrinkles meaning the value of the anti-aging market in the United States is huge.
Ganceviciene R, et al. (2012). Skin anti-aging strategies. DOI:
Hays JT. (2017). Is it true that smoking causes wrinkles?
mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/quit-smoking/expert-answers/smoking/faq-20058153. (Accessed, Feb 15, 2021).
Hughes MCB, et al. (2013). Sunscreen and prevention of skin aging: A randomized trial. DOI:
Jegasothy SM, et al. (2014). Efficacy of a new topical nano-hyaluronic acid in humans.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3970829/. (Accessed, Feb 15, 2021).