We all know that avocados are a healthy food - but there is one drawback.
And that is the amount of calories they contain.
If you are watching your weight, then including avocados in your diet could be a problem.
The secret of course is eating them in moderation.
How high are the calories?
One medium sized (7 ounce) avo will come with approximately 322 calories. It will also come with carbohydrates, protein, fat and dietary fiber.
And did you know that vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, potassioum, pantothenic acid, vitamins B6 and E, copper, niacin, riboflavin, magnesium and manganese are also present in good quantites?
What type of fat is in avos?
Mostly monounsaturated fats, which are a type of heart-healthy fat found in other foods such as nuts and olive oils.
These fatty acids come with other health benefits too including protection against metabolic syndrome and heart disease while reducing inflammation - and enhancing insulin sensitivity by helping to improve the body’s ability to regulate blood sugar levels effectively.
Healthy fats can even lower the risk of depression with their mood boosting benefits.
Eat avocados in moderation for these other health benefits too
Suggestions on how to eat avocados
- I like to eat half an avocado with a teaspoon or so of Worcestershire sauce.
- Another way is mashed up and served in a bacon sandwich.
- Make a creamy salad dressing by putting the ingredients of a basic vinaigrette (oil and vinegar) in a blender. Add the chopped avocado and blend until creamy. You can add some fresh herbs for a variation.
- Fill with crab meat or crab salad. This also works with tuna or tuna salad. Top the whole thing off with olive oil, a little fresh lemon juice, and some flaky salt.
- Blend into some hummus for a smooth result.
- Cut some avocados in half, remove the stones and them with a little oil before putting on or under a hot grill. Just takes a minute or two and they are perfect to serve with a steak.
- And finally, make some vegan, gluten-free, decadent brownies. Here is the recipe...