Baking Soda Is An Amazing & Versatile Little Helper | Amoils.com
Everyone should have a packet of baking soda in their home (also known as bicarbonate soda or sodium bicarbonate) because this reasonably priced product is a cleaning aid, a cosmetic aid and loaded with health benefits all-in-one. Environmentally friendly and budget-priced, baking soda really is a must-have for your home as an effective, no frills and no fuss alternative to other expensive and even toxic products.
How do we get baking soda?
Baking soda is made from soda ash (or sodium bicarbonate) which occurs naturally in the environment. The soda ash is mined and then refined to form a safe, pure product for you to use.
As a paste: combine 3 parts baking soda with 1 part of water.
As a solution: disolve 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a liter of warm water.
As a drink:take 1/4 tsp. of baking soda dissolved in one-half glass of water on an empty stomach.
For wiping: apply baking soda directly to a damp sponge or cloth.
For sprinkling: sprinkle directly from the packet.
Baking soda is a drying agent and can remove excess moisture from your refrigerator, cupboards and wardrobes.
- Place an open container of baking soda in your refrigerator to help neutralize strong odors. if the smells haven’t set in.
- Use to wash out and deodorize garbage cans.
- If you have an load of extra greasy dishes for your dish washer, sprinkle 1/2 a cup of baking soda on the bottom of the washer before you run it. The soda cuts the grease which means the detergent works more easily. Also use baking soda to control undesirable odors in the bottom of your dishwasher.
- Baking soda cleans bathrooms, carpets, kitchens, glass, ovens, walls and mirrors.
- Keep your microwave clean by sprinkling some baking soda or corn starch on the greasy spots.
- Apply a thin paste of baking soda to stains prior to washing – even blood stains.
- Apply baking soda on grease or oil patches on cement floors or driveways, or on stove tops and barbecue grills.
- Blocked or sluggish drains will improve when you place a cup of baking soda in the drain followed by a cup of warm vinegar.
- Baking soda is a leavening agent which reacts with acid compounds causing dough to rise.
- In cooking, baking soda acts to neutralize acids, break down protein and tenderizes too.
- Combine baking soda with your usual face cleanser to exfoliate the top layer of dead cells.
- Control the greasiness in hair by brushing in a small amount of baking soda. Another tip for hair is that you dispel the residue of your shampoo in your hair if you add baking soda to the actual product.
- Olive oil and baking soda added to your bathwater help you relax and de-stress while being beneficial to your skin.
- A paste of baking soda and water is good to rub the calluses on your feet away while baking soda in hot water in a basin makes a lovely foot spa.
- In addition, baking soda can be used on sunburn, insect bites, dentures, sore throats and for treating acid indigestion.
- The use of baking soda as a drink can change your body from being acidic to alkaline, helping to prevent those viruses (such as colds and flu) and diseases such as cancer, kidney and heart conditions which thrive in an acidic environment. Acidity and alkalinity is measured by pH, which ranges from 0 to 14 with 7.0 being neutral – a pH above 7.0 is alkaline, and below 7.0 is acidic. Baking soda has the highest pH of 14. Create a healthy body by keeping your body’s pH between 7.1 and 7.5. To increase your body’s pH, take the baking soda drink (recipe above) in the morning and at bedtime.
- Drink the baking soda and water solution at the very beginning of cold or flu symptoms to help kill the viruses. In addition, keep your body alkaline by increasing fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- If you are an athlete, take the baking soda drink to buffer lactic acid buildup and improve your exercise performance. Ingest 0.3 g of baking soda per 2.2 lb. of body weight an hour or so before the event, drinking plenty of water. Baking soda is one of the best value for money “ergogenic” aids on the market.
If for any reason you unable to take the baking soda drink, drink a glass of water with a half lemon or lime squeezed into it twice daily. Although lemons and limes are acidic, they become alkaline in your body, raising your alkalinity almost as well as baking soda.
Baking soda is the one white crystalline powder that you can safely use – it is cheap, it is plentiful, it is environmentally safe, it works and of course it is legal!