How To Battle Those Bronchitis Coughing Fits
- Drinking plenty of fluids while avoiding alcohol.
- Getting plenty of rest.
- Taking pain relievers if necessary to ease pain and lower any fever.
- Increasing the humidity in your home or using a humidifier.
What is bronchitis?Bronchitis makes you cough a lot. Sometimes it can make it hard to breathe too, causing wheezing, fever, tiredness and chest pain. The disease occurs when the lining of the airways in your lungs gets irritated.
Top ten tips for battling coughing fits
- When you go to bed, prop yourself as upright as possible with lots of pillows.
- A coughing fit can be very stressful and the longer it continues, the more you might panic. A warm bath before bed and a few drops of our natural Sleep Aid Formula on the back of the neck can help in the relaxation process.
- Make up a mixture of squeezed fresh lemon juice and some raw honey. Take small sips of this when the coughing starts. Honey has been used as medicine since ancient times, prized for its antibacterial properties. Honey will sooth irritated mucus membranes and a sweet addition to warm lemon juice/water. Lemon is widely used as an expectorant. Just a word of warning not to give honey to children under the age of one year because it can cause botulism.
- A hot water bottle (or heating pad) placed on the chest can soothe and warm, relaxing the chest area even further.
- If the coughing takes a hold, drink a strong cup of coffee. The caffeine acts as a bronchodilator, meaning it can help open airways.
- Another piece of advice is to take your mind off the coughing by doing something different such as watching a TV program.
- The coughing might be serious enough to cause you to throw up. This can sometimes help the situation.
- If an asthma pump is available in your home, it might be helpful to use it.
- Bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple, has been shown to be effective in reducing inflammation. Eat some fresh pineapple. It also helps with coughing up phlegm.
- Gargle "natural salt" water in your mouth and throat several times a day. It can help to wash away excess mucus and ease symptoms.