A growing band of knowledgeable consumers are turning away from commercial brands of toothpaste because they have become aware how they are loaded with toxic chemicals including the now discredited fluoride. In fact, instructions on commercial toothpaste packaging warn against swallowing toothpaste (as if that will keep you safe).
Fluoride should always be avoided
Fluoride 'fills in' holes in teeth and bones before the body has an opportunity to correct the holes with proper minerals. Fluoride actually creates weaker teeth and bones. Fluoride is also a neuro-toxin. Make sure to brush with fluoride-free toothpaste and use filtered water with fluoride-eliminating filters. In addition to the sodium fluoride in commercial toothpastes, there are artificial sweeteners, artificial colorings and other toxic chemicals.
The oral mucosa in your mouth will absorb these harmful ingredients
A simple home made tooth paste can be made by mixing coconut oil, aluminum-free baking soda and a couple of drops of peppermint oil. Add a drop or two of tea tree oil to your home made toothpaste to benefit both your mouth and gums and avoid plaque build up or gingivitis.
Save your smile toothpaste
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/2 small (individual) packet of stevia
- 20-25 drops of peppermint oil – adjust to taste - such as Vitacost 100% Pure Peppermint Oil – 4 fl oz
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and store in a tightly sealed container.
Instead of peppermint oil, you can ring the changes with spearmint essential oil, clove oil or rose oil.
When using this toothpaste, sometimes give it a rest for a day or two and use just the plain organic coconut oil because baking soda can cause abrasions to the teeth if used continuously every day.
You can also substitute the stevia for xylitol which has a natural sweet taste.
Alternative toothpaste recipe
For this one, use 3 ounces of fluoride-free water to which is added 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. Mix together in a container which can be sealed. Tip out a small amount onto a saucer when it is time to clean your teeth and keep dipping your toothbrush into the mixture. Just one word of warning about this recipe is: do not use it if you have amalgam fillings because they contain mercury and the peroxide releases this toxic mercury from the fillings.
Make a natural mouth wash to use after cleaning your teeth
This is also excellent to prevent gum recession. Add a teaspoon of natural salt (such as Himalayan salt) to a quarter cup of water. Swish through your teeth for a few minutes before spitting out again.
Take that special bit of effort to make your own safe and natural tooth paste that will neither harm your bones nor your general health.
- If you wish to buy a natural toothpaste, Trader Joe’s has a great one which is all natural, no fluoride and anti-plaque. The ingredients include fennel, propolis and myrrh. This comes in a large tube and is very cost effective.
- Another safe toothpaste to buy is Melaleuca which works especially well for sensitive teeth and has among its ingredients, xylitol and myrrh oil. In addition to cleaning your teeth, it fights tartar, removes plaque, whitens teeth and freshens breath.
- A friend of mine uses Miessence toothpaste which she confirms is a good, safe product but pricey. She makes it go further by putting a very small amount of the Miessence paste on her wet brush before dipping into her own tooth powder which is a blend of 60% xylitol to 40% baking soda. She confirms that xylitol is an alcohol sugar that is very good for oral hygiene.