The Top Ten Ways Flax Seed Oil Can Support Your Health
Perhaps the most important thing to know about flaxseed oil is how rich it is in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, as well as powerful antioxidants. And with this richness, come plenty of health benefits.
A little bit about flax itself
Flax (which is also known as linseed) grows successfully in the cooler regions of the world and native to the regions from the eastern Mediterranean to India. Historically, flax was grown primarily for use as linen and was first introduced in the USA as a fiber for clothing.
Flaxseed oil was used in paint and also as a livestock and poultry feed with the industry reaching its peak in the 18th century.
The renewed interest in flax as a food source today is because of many studies pointing to how flaxseed and flaxseed oil can provide a variety of health benefits.
The top ten health benefits of flaxseed oil
- Supporting healthy cardiovascular function because it is so rich in omega-3 acids, namely eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). ALA will help support healthy blood pressure as well as helping maintain normal heart rhythm and pumping. In addition, the presence of nitric oxide which is a gas molecule which helps support healthy blood pressure levels that are already within the normal range.
- Supporting healthy digestive function because the omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed oil can help support a healthy and diverse gut microflora which plays a key role in good digestion.
- Supporting healthy immune function because this function is affected by the balance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid levels and because much of the immune system is in the gut, including flaxseed oil will feed beneficial gut bacteria.
- Supporting healthy eye function with the fatty acids playing their role in the functioning of all cell membranes - including those in the eyes.
- Supporting healthy bones because flaxseed oil will help support optimum bone health - and bone mineral density.
- Supporting and promoting healthy, glowing skin because once again those essential fatty acids are important for the production of the skin's natural barrier while keeping the skin well hydrated. Consume flaxseed oil for interior skin benefits and Simply Skin Vitamin Oil for exterior benefits.
- Supporting healthy hair because those omega-3 fatty acids will promote healthy blood circulation in the scalp. This will work from inside while Simply Hair Oil will work from the outside. There is also vitamin E in flaxseed oil, creating a protective barrier on your scalp to lock in moisture.
- Supporting healthy joints and tendons because those fatty acids help to protect cartilage and tendons caused by oxidative stress.
- Supporting reasonable weight management goals because all those healthy fats in flaxseed oil can actually help to curb the appetite. It does this by delaying gastric emptying where the contents of the stomach are moved on into the first section of the small intestine, making you feel full for longer while discouraging the temptation to snack between meals or even eating too much. Obviously, a balanced healthy diet and regular exercise are important too.
- Naturally uplift your mood because those fatty acids make their way through the cell membranes of the brain cells, interacting with molecules. This interaction plays an important role in regulating our mood, helping to improve our mood and our feel good status.
Flaxseed oil is easy to include in your diet
Fatty acids can be gained from eating fatty fish and fish based oils but safer (and without the risk of being contaminated) is organic flaxseed oil. You can add a couple of spoonfuls into different dishes such as salad dressings, dips and sauces, breakfast cereal or smoothies. A word of warning that the oil is not suitable for cooking because of its low smoke point.
Then of course there plenty of flaxseed oil supplements in capsule format. What could be easier to use than these.