What are the clinical signs of ragwort poisoning?
Symptoms first seen may include:
- Loss of condition/poor appetite
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Photosensitivity (sunburn) affecting unpigmented (pink) skin
- A possible jaundiced appearance
Progressing to more terminal signs include:
- Strange nervous behaviours
- Restless/aimless and uncoordinated movements/repetitive circling
- Possible blindness
- Head pressing against solid objects
- Abnormal gait and stance
- Loss of consciousness.
A blood sample can be taken to confirm liver failure.