Most people love the taste of honey but might not realize the full health and other benefits of this food which has been around for so long and is the stuff of legends.
It is man’s oldest sweetener
Some 50% of the human diet is derived either directly or indirectly from crops pollinated by bees which are an essential part of a healthy agriculture economy. This is why people get worried when they hear about bees suddenly dying off from a disease or from pollution. It is said that if bees are wiped off the planet, the demise of mankind will occur within 4 to 10 years.
Honey is nectar gathered by bees from the blossoms of many flowers. It is taken into the beehive where the worker bees remove the liquid from the nectar. The finished product is a heavy syrup with 12 to 20 percent moisture and 80 to 85 percent sugar. This pure product is a good source of quick energy for the human body but also a natural product with high natural and medicinal value. Many consider honey to be the top and natural food, drink and drug all-in-one. The best honey is produced in Spring, followed by Summer, Autumn and Winter in that order.
Some of the special things about honey
• An antioxidant that restores damaged skin and makes the skin look younger and softer as well as playing a big role in the prevention of cancer and heart disease. Heart patients are advised to replace sugar with honey because it has natural fructose and glucose. This advice should apply to everyone.
• Frequent use of honey strengthens white blood corpuscles to fight bacteria and viral diseases. It supplies an important part of the energy needed by the body for blood formation while cleansing the blood and helping to regulate and facilitate blood circulation.
• Anti-bacterial. Dissolve a small but equal quantity of honey and warm water into an eyebath to treat conjunctivitis or pink eye.
• Natural antiseptic. Helps heal wounds by covering cuts, grazes and scrapes with honey and a bandage.
• Helps heal burns by prevention infections and accelerating skin healing.
• Helps with insomnia
as a mug of hot milk with a large spoon of honey acts as a mild sedative.
• Clears nasal congestion when you mix a 1 or 2 large spoons of honey into a basin of hot water. Cover your head, lean over the basin and inhale.
• Mix honey and apple cider vinegar in equal parts, add some water and drink to help digestion. Use the same drink if you suffer from arthritis
to ease joint inflammation.
• If you suffer from migraines
, dissolve a large spoon of honey in to a glass of warm water at the start of a migraine attack and again after 20 minutes if needed.
• If you have to treat diarrhea, honey will help rehydrate the body and clear up the symptoms.
Then you can add ginger root for further benefits
• A mixture of ginger and honey is an excellent expectorant providing relief from a cough, cold, sore throat and runny nose.
• Add some black pepper to this mix and you can treat or reduce the affect of asthma.
To get this mixture, mix a teaspoonful of ginger root juice with equal quantity of honey.
Next is a mixture of honey and cinnamon which has been known for hundreds of years for its curing power.
• For arthritis, make a paste of 1 part honey, 2 parts warm water and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Massage on to the itching part of the body for relief.
• For reducing cholesterol, make a tea with 16 oz tea, 2 tbs honey, 3 tsp cinnamon powder. This is said to reduce the cholesterol level by 10% within 2 hours.
• Spread a mix of honey and cinnamon on your toast for another cholesterol reducing tip.
The best is raw honey which is totally unprocessed
It is in its original state as it is taken from the honey comb. When shopping, look for a label that says “100% raw honey”. There is a company online
that ships "really raw honey" all over the US.
Think about keeping 2 jars of honey in your home – one for eating and one for your medicine cupboard!