Boost Your Immune System To Avoid Flu & Other Viruses | Amoils.com
Many of us know that our immune system is important to our well being but are we doing enough to boost this immune system?
With winter coming and the ever present threat of flu, there is much we can do to improve our immune system to make us less vulnerable to colds and flu as well as other conditions such as outbreaks of psoriasis, rosacea flare-ups, shingles outbreaks and even the appearance of warts.
I have written earlier posts on the importance of our diet and of drinking sufficient water. Both of these are vital in boosting the immune systems. But there is much more you can do too.
For a stronger immune system, what should you avoid?
Well too much coffee, all sugar (fructose) and artificial sweeteners are three baddies. Coffee causes dehydration and even deprives your body of minerals and vitamins. So if you must have a daily cup of coffee, make sure you have 2 extra glasses of water to counteract the adverse effects. Keep sugar to the minimum and change to the safer, natural stevia. Artificial sweeteners contain chemicals that are potentially harmful to the immune system.
And the biggest baddy of them all is of course smoking. Cigarette smoke has thousands of chemicals, many of which are known carcinogens. When you introduce cigarette smoke to your body, you are inviting multiple invaders for your immune system to chase, catch and remove. The more you smoke, the harder your immune system has to work. So of course your immune system is going to be weakened
For a stronger immune system, what should you include?
- Essential oils fight colds and flu and many essential oils natural remedies can also help boost your immune system.
- Fresh herbs, raw fruits and vegetables are all good too. Use pure and natural lemon juice every day to keep your body’s acid/alkali balance at the best level for healthy bacteria to thrive.
- Make sure you eat sufficient quantities of protein – meat, fish, nuts, eggs and whole beans.
- Some of the best foods for immune system boosting are apples, oranges, broccoli, cantaloupe, brown rice, olive oil, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, fruit and roots.
- Garlic either raw or in cooked form is another excellent immune booster
Three other important ways to boost your immune system
- Make sure you get out in the fresh air (winter and summer) to exercise, to do deep breathing and just to have some fun. Don’t be so bound up in your work or your chores that you never have time for yourself.
- Make time for your friends, have a good laugh as often as you can and learn to relax and get a good night’s sleep.
- If you are eating, drinking exercising well and managing your stress, then not only will your immune system receive a massive boost but a good night’s sleep will usually follow.
Remember too that if you have taken antibiotics recently, you will need to restore the healthy flora balance in your body by taking a daily probiotic containing acidophilus. Unfortunately, antibiotics can harm the good bacteria in your system while they are fighting an infection in your body.
If you can boost your immune system by following as many of these suggestions above, you are much less likely to become sick. You have a good chance of avoiding the flu as well as all those other conditions that can rear their ugly heads when your immune system is compromised.
Obviously, it is also important to practise hygiene by washing your hands frequently in soap and water and remembering to sneeze into the crook of your arm if you cannot reach a tissue in time.
Take care of your immune system – it is more important than you ever realized.